Welcome to Xiled Gaming
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

HELLO

Arb1trage

Forum Noob
Oct 23, 2007
Philadelphia
2 tactical jumps that are (IMHO) key to becoming better:

1. Narrows. top of mancanon to top mid
2. guardian. bottom gold to top gold through where you drop down, not the lift. This one's very difficult and I haven't been able to do it yet.

Arb1trage

Forum Noob
Oct 23, 2007
Philadelphia
**** COMPETETIVE PLAY GUIDELINES: PLEASE READ ****

**** Competetive Play Guidelines: Please Read ****

Some quick guidelines to follow in general.

XGC elite rules
1. Follow the honer code. Be a good sport and rep us like the nice guys we are.
2. Play to win. Try to play your best even if you are having an off day/game. Remember, it's all in your head. This is probably the most important rule we have. Not only will this make you a better player but it will also encourage the rest of your team to play to the best of their ability
3. No whining over your connection, how you got killed, the other team, the other players. Be constructive, play to win. Period.
4. It's easy to get demoralized when playing a good team. . . When frustrated take a step back from the game, analyze what's going on and come up with a plan of action to take out the other team's setup. Make sure your team is on the same page and wait for every time. Try your plan once, twice, maybe three times. If it doesn't work, come up with a new plan. Remember the definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over again expecting different results.
5. When we get beat, go through the game, see what you did wrong and see what you did right. The only way to get better is to study better players and analyze your own game play. Don't be afraid to copy another teams strategy if it worked well. Playing a ton of games is just not enough.

Moderator, could you please sticky this?

XGC Kramer

Forum Junkie
Mar 5, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Arb1trage said:
3. No whining over your connection, how you got killed, the other team, the other players
I almost entirely disagree with that one >_>;

-It's important to know how people died, i.e. rockets, shotguns, snipers, assassination etc~ that's a beautiful thing to halo 3, you can talk while dead.

-Knowing if people are having connection problems is also important to ALL CUSTOM games, so long as other options haven't been explored to improve general connection stuff.

-the other team is an unknown in some cases, complaining~ although not always the greatest way for this to be done, does inform everybody of what is going on, same with complaining about what specific people are doing. Sometimes simply verbalizing a person or team's habits will bring to light the issue for others on your team, and things may start to happen.

This stuff only becomes problematic when it's repeated to an extreme in game, when other communication could be more valuable.
arb1trage said:
...Make sure your team is on the same page and wait for every time...
If everybody is in on an experiment, you could ruin some defense stuff and worsen your situation. I've found it's good for individuals to experiment, and if they find something that works, then try to organize a plan. Trial and error is tried and true. It takes a lot to get a team to organize around a plan, it doesn't take as much to give simple directions after you've found a way to gain a slight upper hand and possibly throw off the others' rhythm.

Besides that i think i can agree with whats been said. Prolly doesn't need stickied though~ lol. The forum isn't that busy.

Arb1trage

Forum Noob
Oct 23, 2007
Philadelphia
There's a huge difference between telling people how you died and whining about how you died.

Whining: OH my *blam* God, I can't believe he just no scoped me in the face. That's ridiculous. God! (repeat this about five times)

Communicating: Sniper is in sword.

During game communication, brevity is key. Telling your teammates information in a concise fashion will get your point across and allow them to concentrate on what you need to do to win. It will also keep the channel open for more important information that would otherwise be disrupted/not heard. Even on good teams I hear people whining all the time. It's not useful and it has no place during any game (I guess after the game is OK). Whining also has the potential to demoralize your team because people will start to perceive things as being "unfair" as opposed to maintaining a competitive mindset.

In terms of organizing a plan and experimentation I don't believe it should be hard for one's team to carry out a simple plan. An experiment doesn't have to be complex, it could be simple as say on the pit taking 2 people under overshield towards to kill the sniper on their tower while the other 2 players distract the sniper at bridge. If your team is concentrating on playing TOGETHER than it should be a piece of cake to implement a plan. Obviously such a plan should not take the place of individual experimentation and trial and error. That is basically what I'm talking about, except on a team level.

I don't understand what you mean by loosing a defensive or other advantage. Obviously if you have a power weapon, you would want to work that into any plan. In the example above you could easily change it to: 1 person bridge, 2 under OS towards enemy snipe tower, sniper on our tower at first than moving to sword (so he'll be near the team and somewhat protected with the 2 players going to enemy snipe tower and one at bridge). This is just an example but I hope you see what I'm saying.

XGC Kramer

Forum Junkie
Mar 5, 2007
Sacramento, CA
by taking two people under overshield as you spoke of, you pull away a net and take two people from holding ground; plus they're focused on a single objective; it's one thing to tell people to focus on a sniper, it's another to tell people what to do~ if they follow through, it can cause more problems than it's worth.

Complaining, although it can be excessive, can also be something as simple as, "Gawd! they always have a guy camping in the back with a sniper! he keeps killing me before i can get him!" plus or minus some more colorful language, it still tells the entire team at least three things:
- they are camping their sniper in the back of their base
- our sniper is frustrated
- their sniper can do damage and is capable

which says somebody may wanna switch with our sniper if for no other reason than to give him a chance to relax, somebody should flank their sniper, or we should control down low and push through to their side from below, hoping to catch them unaware~ then catching the sniper as he chases flag.

Plans, although they work better with teamwork, can also lead to a full team dieing from a failed plan~ which is a huge gamble. It's far safer to test some part of your plan yourself, and if it seems plausable, fill people in while you're dead or in motion. no reason to gamble before you think you can handle at least your role well enough to hurt them a bit should your team miss the chance.

And rather than talking about power weapons, i'm talking about line-of-sight and perimeter. It's amazing what a team can do when backed into a corner, even against superior teams they can keep a flag from moving more than a step or two in their base per attack~ when you ask people to move out of their positions, you're on the attack. You're the one who can be surprised more easily than before, and against a superior team it'll cost you. You can find your team scrambling to catch up and recover, as they already grab and begin running your flag while you respawn.

Whining is only a problem when it's repeated, as you said, 5 some odd times; especially if it's about connection issues. That's best solved outside of the game. Talking about in-game stuff though can stress the point to other teammates if it's happening repeatedly..such as needler hopping on narrows, and nobody is killing him. Hearing how stressed a guy is can help let the team know to give him a different role if possible, to aleviate his stress and help him get back into his "groove".

Saltrix

XG CONTRIBUTER
Mar 12, 2007
Springfield, OH
LATER

later

so a while ago, i got a new job out of town, and i started staying there throughout the week. this means me getting on the box a lot less than i used to. and when i do have time to get on there i normally have clan issues to deal with, or i just wanna relax and hang out. this is why i really havn't been participating in any of the elites stuff. well, the time has come, and i don't see this situation ending anytime soon.

so i think it would be best for me to go ahead and drop out of the elites for the time being. Maybe another day when i have more time or something i will try out again. I really appreciate the opportunity, and i'm still up for playin with you guys every once in a while. sorry...

Xx Mr Bill xX

Forum Junkie
Dec 10, 2006
Cleveland, OH
www.coldfusionlc.com
2008 MLG PRO CIRCUIT

2008 MLG Pro Circuit

As some of you may know on Gamebattles they have started a ladder called the 2008 MLG Pro Circuit. Now, I also know that many elites are new to gamebattles and all that but this is one of the best opportunities you will have other then attending actual MLG events to test your skills against top Halo 3 teams and a lot of H2 pros / semi-pros.

I am on a team called Body Count Rising at the moment and we have done pretty well. We were 8 - 3 at one point and 45th on the ladder. Unfortunately out of our next 6 games 3 were against top 10 teams and 1 other team who was just as good as them. We won the other two. So now we are 10 - 7 and 75th on the ladder, not bad for a team that has been together for 2 weeks. Now you may ask how does getting destroyed by teams that have been together way longer or are just much more individually skilled good for me?

Well, getting dominated by them isn't, but learning from the experience will be infinitely helpful. You can see set ups, how they work, how yours get broken and how to improve what you have. You can also learn some neat things like a ledge you can stand on that you never knew about or perhaps a spot that is really good to cover a hill that you never thought about. There are many more things as well as this.

You get to see some of who may be the top players in the game in action. I know that Type Z has a team along with several other pros who are just on teams and several semi-pros I recognize from halo 2. We played against Activee last night who played in some MLG H2 events along with a guy named Impulzzzer. The thing is if you don't take full advantage of this event then you miss out on a great opportunity. Pro teams won't be on game battles all the time, many did not play in the H2 one.

Also, not that anyone here is actually going to win, no offense, but it just won't happen at this point, but the winner of the playoff bracket gets an all expense paid trip to one MLG event of that teams choosing. The top 133 teams get into the playoff bracket and where you finish on the bracket determines your seed in the playoff. Its not hard to set up gamebattles matches. You can do it days in advance or if you see 4 people online you can set up a match in 15 seconds. Basically, if you aren't taking full advantage of this opportunity you most definitely should.

XGC Ap0llo

Forum Nerd
Dec 27, 2006
i dont disagree with anything that arb says in there. every argument that has been made against it is really just a matter of degree.

XGC Ap0llo

Forum Nerd
Dec 27, 2006
give me customs or give me death! if i can get enough people to play customs with constantly, i will never step into matchmaking again.

XGC Ap0llo

Forum Nerd
Dec 27, 2006
lan tourneys are pretty much amazing. if you cant find a tourney in your area, i bet you have enough friends to invite over and have a lan party. the more you play on lan the better, the game reacts a little differently on lan, sometimes a lot differently, and you have to be used to that if you are going to tournaments. besides, its glorious to be able to look somebody in the eye when you explain exactly how you just pwned them.

XGC Ap0llo

Forum Nerd
Dec 27, 2006
STAY OPEN!!

Stay Open!!

if you are trying out for the elites and you fill out the form, make sure that you have a few spots open on your friends list so that we can add you!