Welcome to Xiled Gaming
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

SYN RABID ODANI APPLICATION

SYN Rabid Odani

XG CONTRIBUTER
Jul 30, 2013
Austin, Texas, United States
id have to agree. the text looks good and shows that it is all on a single layer. it is also a very good choice for the image. i have to say the top is better because it better shows the rule of thirds, and draws focal much better. more of my attention is grabbed by the banner than anything else in the second image. also can you please post the original image?

the image is this link

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct...3YtvxI0r5kfcCJ5PRqpLJuBw&ust=1424747689792384

Jupiter

XG CONTRIBUTER
Jul 18, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
xgckoneko.deviantart.com
Every time I come to your app I see the same thing... images placed on a background with text added.

What I don't see --

1. Effects
2. Flow
3. Light Source
4. Depth
5. A Strong Focal

ALL of these things combined are what create a great signature and/or banner.

These designers are giving you great tips but I don't see them applied in your work.
As far as the borders go -- they are NOT the focal. I understand you want to be original which is GREAT but at the same time, you're hindering your progress as a designer when you spend so much energy on a border instead of the design as a whole. Work on the rest of the process first and deal with fancy details later.

You HAVE improved, don't get me wrong... But I don't see you apply these tips like you should be. Take the advice, apply it to your work, and see what works and what doesn't. Have a question? Ask it.. If someone gives you advice.. Don't keep saying "but... blah blah blah" "oh well I did it this way because.... blah blah blah"

Excuses don't work in designing, I'm not trying to be rude but it's the truth. Look up some tutorials, follow them, post the tutorial and your results. Continue to post the original images with your work so we can see what you actually changed.

Last edited:

IXssl

XG CONTRIBUTER
Nov 15, 2012
Yorktown, VA

Hey broski so as you can see the whole copy and paste thing here is extremely frowned upon but it's ok because you didn't know and I won't keep saying what everyone else before me pretty much said that'd be beating a dead horse. Best bet bro is to go on youtube and look up some basic sig designs and just practice thats how I did it. As far as text and borders go I think you have that down pat, but your blending, effects, depth and overall design does need a bit of polishing, if you can be patient i'm going to try to make a blending tut I mean I'm not the best but I think that maybe it'll help people with blending the focal in with whatever background you decide to use. But to be honest bro best thing is to just experiment, there was alot of things I tried out just to try that actually made the picture come out better just tinker around PS for a bit when you're working on a design just for you. Hope this helped bro.

TheRealMrNUGGET

XG CONTRIBUTER
Jun 4, 2014
New England, US
Look Odani, you're a cool guy, but it's time for some tough love. I said I would except you to the team because you were active and starting to show improvement, but I'm not seeing any improvement any more. All I'm seeing is copy and paste with a fancy border.

So here's the deal you're starting over. You get 10 points. The designers will give their CnC as usual, but I will talk with them privatatly. If it is determined that it is a good signature, or you showed effort towards improvement, then you will earn a point. If you show the opposite, then you will lose a point. If you get to zero points, I will personally ask Jupiter to close your app.

You have 31 pages worth of types from designers, and a whole internet of tutorials to learn from. I'm sorry that I've got to give you the tough love, but it's come to the point where it's necessary. I wish you the best of luck. Also I'm sure any designer would gladly CnC your images before you post them if you ask. If you need advice, or just wanna talk feel free to hit me up on xbox.

SYN Rabid Odani

XG CONTRIBUTER
Jul 30, 2013
Hey broski so as you can see the whole copy and paste thing here is extremely frowned upon but it's ok because you didn't know and I won't keep saying what everyone else before me pretty much said that'd be beating a dead horse. Best bet bro is to go on youtube and look up some basic sig designs and just practice thats how I did it. As far as text and borders go I think you have that down pat, but your blending, effects, depth and overall design does need a bit of polishing, if you can be patient i'm going to try to make a blending tut I mean I'm not the best but I think that maybe it'll help people with blending the focal in with whatever background you decide to use. But to be honest bro best thing is to just experiment, there was alot of things I tried out just to try that actually made the picture come out better just tinker around PS for a bit when you're working on a design just for you. Hope this helped bro.

yea i notice i have a problem blending renders into c4d backgrounds and depending on what style im going for. thanks for the encourment shreada. and for everyone else giving cnc for my art sorry if i have come across as snappy or abit uncaring about your opinon. iv had alot of stress lately and am abit on edge but have been taking what you say into mind

TheRealMrNUGGET

XG CONTRIBUTER
Jun 4, 2014
New England, US
the two images look nice together, and the more solid text looks good, but i am not seeing anything done to re touch either image. make sure you try to do something to it, even change the colors. one way i like to retouch an image which also helps blend the images is to create a layer of solid color, and change its blend mode to soft light. i also sometimes drop the opacity as well.

Jupiter

XG CONTRIBUTER
Jul 18, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
xgckoneko.deviantart.com
The render is out of focus. The original image had nice quality. What did you do to the render when you placed it on the background to make that happen? Please list your steps in detail.

I also agree with nugget.. Nothing was done to either image to make them any different from the originals. Changing the color wont even be enough, honestly. You need to add in different effects, overlay multiple images, something other than taking a render and putting it on a premade background, adding text, and calling it done.

XGC Radioactive

XG CONTRIBUTER
Mar 24, 2011
Texas

the letters on this one are faded out and look diffrent when it was larger so i made them more solid in the next one.

the image links are here:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...rVKDDMe_jsATEm4DoBA&tbm=isch&ved=0CCEQMygDMAM

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/...6RKw5KKmI9KAHQO-S9BA2FnvOT7eaW2OExSvSNiTrJ-_A
When rendering an image to place into another background, it's a good idea to add a thin haze around the image to help makr it seemless. I can easily explain this in GIMP, but not your program. If someone more familiar may advise this....

I usually create a duplicate layer, and gaussian blur the back image, usually x12-x20. Lightning effects are also very important to help the image feel natural. The nebula is the light source

SYN Rabid Odani

XG CONTRIBUTER
Jul 30, 2013
The render is out of focus. The original image had nice quality. What did you do to the render when you placed it on the background to make that happen? Please list your steps in detail.

I also agree with nugget.. Nothing was done to either image to make them any different from the originals. Changing the color wont even be enough, honestly. You need to add in different effects, overlay multiple images, something other than taking a render and putting it on a premade background, adding text, and calling it done.

i actually didn't do anything to the clarity of the render so i am not sure why its out of focus. altho maybe part of why it went abit blurred is due to the soft glow.

I actually duplicated the background did a color alpha on the black to make it see though creating a brighter color and pushed it to the front of whole image but behind the text. on the main render i duplicated it and gaussen blurred it and pushed it behind the original, then did a color hue change on the render to remove the blue tint and made it more of a grey tint as well as increasing the glow of the eye then did a soft glow on the whole render.

to help create a haze i can add back in some of the star dust along the edge of the render and through it wile maintaining clarity on the image.

Last edited:

SYN Rabid Odani

XG CONTRIBUTER
Jul 30, 2013

Ok... so i managed to fix the quality of the render by redoing it... still not sure what happened there tho.

also added some of the star dust in front of the render and around the edges to try and make it blend a bit better with the background. and adjusted the lighting on him as well so its not hiding the clarity and detail.

Jupiter

XG CONTRIBUTER
Jul 18, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
xgckoneko.deviantart.com
There is no reason why your focal should be so blurry.
I created this using the two images you provided, nothing else. The only things I incorporated were splatter brushes, clipping masks, a lightsource, and gradient maps. I sharpened the focal slightly, added a gaussian blur layer behind him, added a duplicate layer of the focal and smudged the edges all the way around and the with the same smudge brush, lightly went over the top focal layers edges to blend him in. I also burned/dodged where I felt it was needed.

Rabid%20test_zpslpmk1ili.png

Here is a tutorial for clipping masks that I used when I started designing and I still follow the steps to this day.
http://www.sigtutorials.com/tutorials/basics/clipping-mask-tutorial.html

Reactions: IGnzo

TheRealMrNUGGET

XG CONTRIBUTER
Jun 4, 2014
New England, US
d930d252-7064-4347-b1fb-dbc97cb24620_zpsexq2zjqi.png
after talking it over with members of the team, we have come to the conclusion that this image was a miss. this is due to the blurriness of the focal, and the lack of apparent editing to the images. this means you have 9 points left.

SYN Rabid Odani

XG CONTRIBUTER
Jul 30, 2013
There is no reason why your focal should be so blurry.
I created this using the two images you provided, nothing else. The only things I incorporated were splatter brushes, clipping masks, a lightsource, and gradient maps. I sharpened the focal slightly, added a gaussian blur layer behind him, added a duplicate layer of the focal and smudged the edges all the way around and the with the same smudge brush, lightly went over the top focal layers edges to blend him in. I also burned/dodged where I felt it was needed.

Rabid%20test_zpslpmk1ili.png

Here is a tutorial for clipping masks that I used when I started designing and I still follow the steps to this day.
http://www.sigtutorials.com/tutorials/basics/clipping-mask-tutorial.html

I dont see how its sharper... it still looks fuzzy on my screen... ill probably drop doing banners for a while till i get better with backgrounds.