Welcome to Xiled Gaming
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

XGC DMZ44 DESIGN APPLICATION

Status
Not open for further replies.

SFP Touch

Carpel Tunnel
Dec 30, 2012
Lewisville,TX
I hope I captured what you were looking for.

Original Image:

Sig:

Its missing a few things. Please dont take this the wrong way as im just trying to help. But its missing depth. Use several layers to create the depth. If you need help let me know i will find a tutorial for you. Make that same sig but with depth.

DMZ44

XG CONTRIBUTER
Sep 10, 2012
Minster, Ohio
Its missing a few things. Please dont take this the wrong way as im just trying to help. But its missing depth. Use several layers to create the depth. If you need help let me know i will find a tutorial for you. Make that same sig but with depth.
I did use several layers, but i noticed somethings that i missed, so i decided to recreate the whole thing. New ideas and such.

iCharleyyyy

XG CONTRIBUTER
Mar 29, 2015
Texas
www.mixer.com
I did use several layers, but i noticed somethings that i missed, so i decided to recreate the whole thing. New ideas and such.

Sorry, for the delay in replies. Busy lives and all. I really love what you have done with the editing of the image. But I would like to see what you can do with a possible difficult request.

Type: Signature
Name to be used: XGC Charley XS - XGC Section Leader
Color Style: Dark, reds, purples, blacks
Theme: I would like this image to be used:
0ZyLIbi.png

DMZ44

XG CONTRIBUTER
Sep 10, 2012
Minster, Ohio
Sorry, for the delay in replies. Busy lives and all. I really love what you have done with the editing of the image. But I would like to see what you can do with a possible difficult request.

0ZyLIbi.png

Here is what I came up with. I decided to make it more of a ghost like image except for the face because of the choice of weapon being a scoped rifle, which tends to make one think of a sniper.
snipergirl_edited-1_zpswciaoqgu.png

SFP Touch

Carpel Tunnel
Dec 30, 2012
Lewisville,TX
Here is what I came up with. I decided to make it more of a ghost like image except for the face because of the choice of weapon being a scoped rifle, which tends to make one think of a sniper.
snipergirl_edited-1_zpswciaoqgu.png

Hey bud. i think you are doing what most new designers do. It seems you are copying a image and placing it on the background and changing the color of the image. Try adding in some layers. Try dding what we call c4d's. These are images that can add texture and depth to a image. Also try to change the image you are given. What I mean by that is alter the image itself. Use smudge tools, blur,crop to your liking. Use lighting effects...ect. Every banner or sig will have its own unique twist to it. You just have to find what works for each one.

DMZ44

XG CONTRIBUTER
Sep 10, 2012
Minster, Ohio
Hey bud. i think you are doing what most new designers do. It seems you are copying a image and placing it on the background and changing the color of the image. Try adding in some layers. Try dding what we call c4d's. These are images that can add texture and depth to a image. Also try to change the image you are given. What I mean by that is alter the image itself. Use smudge tools, blur,crop to your liking. Use lighting effects...ect. Every banner or sig will have its own unique twist to it. You just have to find what works for each one.
I did do a lot to the image. There are 4 c4ds in this image, I may have set the opacity too low on them, but even so I still see them. For the Change in the image look at the lips and finger on the trigger, yes subtle, but adds more character to the image and in lines with the request.
Yes I do have mistakes on here, but I don't think the ones point out are correct. There is a spot on the left side shoulder that I didn't smudge as well as part of the rifle (must of rushed it there). Then above the eye I over sharpened leaving a pixilated look.the name I put too high, but b/c of the color it flows well (wrong term I know). And for the lighting effect, I chose not to use one because of the request of it being dark, with darker colors. Hence the background image providing the only light.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I will defend my work and how I do them. When I get the chance, I will also make two or three more using the same image.

DMZ44

XG CONTRIBUTER
Sep 10, 2012
Minster, Ohio
This sig i am posting im not a big fan of, but it is one that i did make, so i will post it. I don't know if i am just tired, so i am making more mistakes or what, but i feel like this isn't my best foot forward. I personally feel as if i blurred to much, but IDK. I know the white specs on here are from the dust of the original image (I lightened before darken, which could be a mistake.)

SFP Jordan SD

XG CONTRIBUTER
Aug 21, 2014
Michigan
This sig i am posting im not a big fan of, but it is one that i did make, so i will post it. I don't know if i am just tired, so i am making more mistakes or what, but i feel like this isn't my best foot forward. I personally feel as if i blurred to much, but IDK. I know the white specs on here are from the dust of the original image (I lightened before darken, which could be a mistake.)

I agree. The blur may have been a tad dramatic. You will achieve the depth that touch was requesting if you erase some of that blur layer on the barrel of her rifle at the forefront of her gaze. Also in various areas where there is light source in the background, her highlights in her hair, etc. Sometime sharpening high lights slightly(depending on quality of rendered image) but use temperance in sharpen, as it is quite easy to over expose. It's very easy to get lost in the layers. It's very easy to oversaturate and clutter up the subtleties of adding value. Alot can overlap in areas without little to no notice until it is too late and is less desirable. Sometimes I even like to go back and take some of the layers' visibility off and kind of Juggle the layers around a little bit to get some perspective on the subtle changes that I may have missed. Don't get discouraged this is a common struggle sometimes. Your progress is awesome and you're doing a great job. Instead of applying too many layers sometimes when you feel like you are close to the effect you were trying to create but don't want to push it over the edge, take the dodge tool out and enhace all the highlights you see in the direction of the light source. Sharpen the focal area you want noticed to make it more prominent and burn or blur out the deep shadows. Play in the shadows with the burn tool or even a small grunge brush to create texture in the depth. When you nail the texture and depth in balance with the other applied basics such as flow, depth, rule of thirds, smudging and application of c4ds and it is all a second nature of these applications, you will be pushing for the next challenge. Keep up the amazing work! We are very interested in your productions!

XGC OTHINUS

Forum Veteran
Jun 30, 2013
South Florida
Along with everything Jordan has said, I would like to introduce you to a little smudging. Smudging can go a long way to helping you flesh out a good background, while keep the render visible. Check out this tutorial:

Smudge Tutorial

Last edited:

DMZ44

XG CONTRIBUTER
Sep 10, 2012
Minster, Ohio
Along with everything Jordan has said, I would like to introduce you to a little smudging. Smudging can go a long way to helping you flesh out a good background, while keep the render visible. Check out this tutorial:

Smudge Tutorial
Thanks for the Tut, I will try it out on my next sig that I do, but I didn't see your post until after I made this sig. I was just having fun trying new things again. I think I know how to do my underwater sigs now, but i just need to figure out sky ones, lol.
Airplane_zpshguse3sm.png

I am currently updating my photoshop from Elements 14 to CC because i am tired of not having the same tool settings as the ones in the tut.

Last edited:

DMZ44

XG CONTRIBUTER
Sep 10, 2012
Minster, Ohio
Ok, I have updated and it is taking me forever to learn all the new placements and how things are done with CC, does anyone know where the photo bin is at now? I really missed it while trying the tut.
s.jpg

DMZ44

XG CONTRIBUTER
Sep 10, 2012
Minster, Ohio

0ZyLIbi.png
I again redid this request. I dont know why i forgot about the bucket fill for the background color and other small things, but I did and came up with three awful sigs the first time. This one is alot better (I think). I will continue looking at other tuts and trying them out.
SGredo.jpg

DMZ44

XG CONTRIBUTER
Sep 10, 2012
Minster, Ohio
There are times while i wait for a response from you guys on my work that I will go and read the requests and see what I can do. Here is one that I came up with SYN Diffle TC's request.
twitch_zpsrba9jgir.png

Here is his request:
[h=2]Signature Request[/h]
1. I would like it to say SYN Empire.
2. I would like it to be Rainbow Six Themed.
I want to use this image: https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...act=mrc&uact=8
3. I would like it to be light blued themed more specifically azurite blue

azurite blue code is 0000E0 (yes I looked it up since he specified it)

XGC OTHINUS

Forum Veteran
Jun 30, 2013
South Florida
Making some improvements for sure. Your text is still kind of rough though, because it doesn't have any effects on it. You want the text to not be so distracting on your sig and you want it to blend in. Play around with blend modes and layer styles. Keep the text small.

Effects wise, making progress but you also need to consider flow.

CoWKbB9.jpg

The red lines mark a flow that I would have gone with. Since your render has no flow to it, usually you'll end up with this direction. You want to make your effects move in that direction.

Also there is lighting to consider. On your render, the light comes from the left side, so you want to add a light source (big soft brush maybe 300-450px, white) and then darken all the shadows to make it pop more. The yellow is where the effects should fade out and it should get darker, because its farther away from the light.

DMZ44

XG CONTRIBUTER
Sep 10, 2012
Minster, Ohio
Making some improvements for sure. Your text is still kind of rough though, because it doesn't have any effects on it. You want the text to not be so distracting on your sig and you want it to blend in. Play around with blend modes and layer styles. Keep the text small.

CoWKbB9.jpg

The red lines mark a flow that I would have gone with. Since your render has no flow to it, usually you'll end up with this direction. You want to make your effects move in that direction.

Also there is lighting to consider. On your render, the light comes from the left side, so you want to add a light source (big soft brush maybe 300-450px, white) and then darken all the shadows to make it pop more. The yellow is where the effects should fade out and it should get darker, because its farther away from the light.
I find flow to be a bit difficult on a double focal image, so I decided to follow the idea of the character (radio transmitions/ remote control) has a wave that move in a circular motion, but doing a double look, I did forget to adjust for the lighting. I'll play with this sig for the next couple of days and see where I can take it.

DMZ44

XG CONTRIBUTER
Sep 10, 2012
Minster, Ohio

CoWKbB9.jpg

Is this better?

DMZ44

XG CONTRIBUTER
Sep 10, 2012
Minster, Ohio
The flow is definitely getting better. The sig is a bit dark though, so maybe lighten it up? You can do that with a Levels adjustment layer.

I was afraid of it being too dark with the last Layer adjustment i added, so i will make that change quickly and add another C4D

Status
Not open for further replies.