Welcome to Xiled Gaming
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

OBJECTION

XGC Advent

XG CONTRIBUTER
Sep 12, 2007
Valley View, TX
I don’t usually do this, but this issue has been eating at me for some time now and I think it’s time I brought into the matter some objectivity. I'm sorry if this isn't the appropriate place to post this; you'd think after two years I would know where this goes. Hehe; I trust it will be moved if needed. Copied, I hope. Still, I am disappointed that a hearing has not been offered after being told by a Division Leader that one was being arranged.

There was a decision made that was the wrong one; I firmly believe this. However, for the sake of the rest of the members of the community who are hanging on to their hope that the leadership is doing the right thing and that they are a part of something good, I am fighting this decision regardless of my membership in the community.

Preamble

The issue in question concerns a member of the community who used the term “nig-nog” in a semi-public forum area. La Resistance, a Lieutenant of XGC Backfire, posted in the XGC Backfire forums a comment towards Scanty81, a Sergeant of XGC Backfire. Being the former General of said clan, this would have been a concern for me had I been present. However, I was dealing with personal issues and was out of contact during these events.

The term was reported for review by XGC Halcyon, a Lieutenant of XGC Backfire and reviewed by XGC HOLIDAY XS and XGC WARHAMMER XD. After a brief review of the term in etymology and definition (as I am told by the two), the decision was made to ban La Resistance on account of racism.

Agreed, nowhere in the Honor Code does it specifically state that racist comments will result in the member being instantly and permanently banned from the community. Matter of factly, it is most clearly interpreted that the member should receive a warning followed by a ban if the member should repeat their actions.

However, and whoever denies this is a fool, there is a double standard that was implemented into the community where members that said or posted the word “nig.ger” would be subject to a zero-tolerance rule in which they would be instantly and permanently banned from the community. To my knowledge, this was neither agreed upon by the Council nor adopted into the Honor Code or other written form of regulations.

This did not stop it from being adopted by other leaders in the community and eventually spread out to the overall majority. A simple survey would confirm this, assuming members answered honestly.

Herein lies the problem: the leadership made a mistake. This is obvious. But what should the leadership uphold: the Honor Code or the double standard?

Elaboration

You see, regardless of whether or not the Council and Community Leaders agreed with this double standard, they apparently offered no objection to it. This form of complacency is the same as announcing its acceptance publicly. If the leadership were truly concerned with this practice or did not approve of it, rather than remain silent they should have made their feelings on the matter known.

Perhaps they did and it was simply disregarded by the rest of the community; with a community of over 30,000 members, I can understand the virtual impossibility to weed out all of these insubordinate members. However, I am unaware of any attempts to reprimand these members if such a decision ever was made.

Disregarding this fact, there is still the issue of racism. Is “nig-nog” a derogatory term in the United Kingdom? For that matter, is it an offensive term? Webster’s Dictionary defines the word as another term for a black person. The Oxford Dictionary defines it as a racial derogatory term. Both denote these definitions as being primarily used in the United Kingdom. Most online sources acknowledge the fact that the word’s popularity existed in the 1980’s and other online sources may cite additional definitions for the term. The majority fail to provide any type of source for these citations though, meaning that they are not viable for use in a judgment of this difficulty. Apparently the most popular reference that I have heard from leaders about the term is that it is a type of drink. I did not see the original statement made by La Resistance, but I do know he was referencing a person. Common sense would rule out inanimate objects as a definition of the term given its usage.

It would seem someone took offense to this post as well; otherwise, would it have been reported in the first place? La Resistance was a semi-reputable member of the community. He achieved the rank of Lieutenant and managed to bring several Recruits into the community. It was not as if he was disliked by any particular members of the community in such a way that they would be looking for an excuse to get him in trouble. Had the leadership “gotten all the details,” they perhaps would have seen things from the perspective of members who knew the member well, rather than base their own decision on La Resistance’s general reputation and the words that emerged from his mouth.

What about the claims of XGC being a mature gaming community? As an 18 and older community, members are assumed to have reached an age of accountability. That is, they are expected to know what is and isn’t socially acceptable by the standards of all the people they interact with, regardless of their race, nationality, age, or sex. In the United States, and apparently the United Kingdom as well, it is socially unacceptable to make comments that can be interpreted as racist in a public form of communication. In this case, the thread the post was made in was accessible by ALL members of the forums that belonged to a clan-based user group. Had this been in a private form of communication, such as a private message or e-mail, we would not have this issue. But since La Resistance decided it should be posted in a public forum, the entire event was left open to interpretation by anyone who should discover it rather than the person it was intended for.

But perhaps I am being too critical. People make mistakes. But then again, perhaps the leadership shouldn’t have allowed those they taught and trained to become so critical.

The leadership also has claimed that perhaps the child didn’t know what the term meant. Then perhaps the 15-year-old should not be in the community. And before I am criticized for allowing the member in the community, he had already been accepted before I became General of XGC Backfire, let alone involved in it since my original transfer to XGC Royalty in November 2007. I have had several members of XGC Backfire confirm that La Resistance is not 18 and therefore should not be allowed in a mature gaming community.

Regardless of the age factor, I and more than likely other Section Leaders can confirm his immaturity in handling other situations, specifically his desire to become a Captain. I use the term desire lightly. I have had several encounters with this member with attempts to pressure me into giving him a promotion, including one threat to leave the community and take other members with him. Ambition and insubordination are not synonymous.

Summary

In short, the leadership has a choice to make. Either they choose to uphold a double standard and fully implement it into their Honor Code and other regulations, and as a result ban La Resistance from the community, or they choose to uphold their original Honor Code and offer everyone who has been wrongly banned a chance to re-enter the community. The problem started there, not with this and I would urge the readers of this document to seriously consider what I have presented. If I did not love this community as much as I do, I would not have spent so much time, energy, and consideration in all that I have done for it.

I would hope the readers of this have realized that I am attempting to be as objective as possible in my arguments. I will admit to some subjectivity, but anyone who knows me, knows La Resistance, and knows what I have discussed here will understand this.

I hope that the leadership and members of this community alike make up their own decisions about this issue rather than let someone else lead them blindly.

Humbly Yours,

XGC Advent

Lifetime Crisis

XG CONTRIBUTER
Dec 7, 2007
Minnesota
here's the thing, how many people do you think have been "wrongly banned"? It's been almost three years since the creation of XG. I don't think it would be easy to do that, and there could be plenty of risks. Also do remember that people are banned immediately for being a danger to the clan, which is why racism (if that's what it is) is strictly disallowed. Racism will make people leave and take their friends with, and a lot if them will try to form their own community and poach off of XG. This is danger to XG that everyone wants to avoid, because it is stressful and annoying.

You probably have more experience than I do, seeing as I have only been a general for 2-3 weeks, I can't remember. But it seems this "double-standard" popped up last week, or earlier this week. Somebody dropped the n-bomb and got kicked. Later he was let back in because it was all a misunderstanding. I won't take sides because I have no idea what happened. But that's the treatment racism deserves.

I think I have made my point.

XGC Advent

XG CONTRIBUTER
Sep 12, 2007
Valley View, TX
Perhaps you were not exposed to this, but I know that I have been told about this "rule" since I was a Sergeant. Perhaps I'm wrong and this standard was simply compartmentalized to my section, but I highly doubt that as there have been many leaders that have moved outside of it.

I understand the difficulty involved with allowing everyone who was ever wrongly banned for racism back in. I am not trying to convince anyone to make any kind of decision like that. Personally, I feel that the Honor Code should be upheld, because that is what I feel is right but I am not one to make decisions in this community anymore.

All I ask is that someone admit their mistake and make things right for the rest of the community. Otherwise, people will continue to leave XG as you said. I have no intention of joining any other communities or clans and I am most certainly not out to convince anyone to leave XG. I have several people still in the community that will confirm that.

I just need peace of mind knowing that, at the very least, I tried to correct what has happened.

EDIT: Additional Thoughts

Also do remember that people are banned immediately for being a danger to the clan, which is why racism (if that's what it is) is strictly disallowed. Racism will make people leave and take their friends with, and a lot if them will try to form their own community and poach off of XG. This is danger to XG that everyone wants to avoid, because it is stressful and annoying.

Agreed, which may be why this double standard was implemented in the first place.

Last edited:

Romance

Forum Junkie
Jan 31, 2007
www.myspace.com
Advent, I applaud your argument. I doubt others read your entire post but I looked at it carefully. I just wish I was as wise as you when I posted my opinions.

My question to you is did the kid say the N word or did he actually say nig-nog?

Lifetime Crisis

XG CONTRIBUTER
Dec 7, 2007
Minnesota
okay. Well since all you want is an answer. Atleast this didn't turn into an argument like I have seen before. I wish I could answer for you, but my whole XG experience involved this double standard as it's referred to. And I joined last summer, in '07. Maybe the council will answer this for you, as they are the only ones who can. I will respect any decision made, as I hate to argue. But trying to completely uphold the honor code like you say it was meant will take some time to spread. But if there's any change I will implement it immediately.

XGC Advent

XG CONTRIBUTER
Sep 12, 2007
Valley View, TX
As I said, I wasn't a witness to its usage. I was informed that it was directed towards another member in XGC Backfire. At this point, I would not trust anyone to give an accurate account of the matter as details tend to be skewed by subjectivity and forgetfulness.

XGC Max

Forum Star
Jan 7, 2007
somerset england
Just to try and make it a bit clearer for you the word used by la resistance, is a racial slur, I am from the United Kingdom and I have lived in many regions of the UK in my time and I have only ever heard this word used in an offensive manner. But I like others do not have all of the facts so I am not willing to make a judgement on the discision they made, I am sure all of us have made a decision in life that some people would find questionable, until they had ALL of the facts.

Lifetime Crisis

XG CONTRIBUTER
Dec 7, 2007
Minnesota
oh. Well then. I won't question that. Mainly because I don't want to accidentally say something in reply that will get my *** chewed off again. I'm looking at you future!! :) jk jk

Anyway good luck on whatever happens next!

XGC Halcyon

Carpel Tunnel
Aug 20, 2008
UK
i made the complaint, and being from the UK, i have been exposed to the word "nig-nog" as an offensive word that you would call a balck person. i do not believe for one second that la resistance knew that nig-nog was, as Advent described, an inanimate object, and i know him to of been racist anyway, with references towards other games on rainbow 6 vegas 2. yet, with the exception of XGC HOLIDAY XS, Advent, and XGC Warhammer XD, at no point did anyone else ask me for conformation. instead, from what i believe, it would of been safer to leave a person back within the community, amongst Backfire (which i am still a part of) and give Resistance a warning, as compared to ban him indefinately, and scar the XG reputation.

2 days after the whole fiasco, XGC xVIPERx VI ivited me into private chat and he had told me that La Resistance was being allowed back into the community with a warning. OK, fair enough, i respect Viper to talk to me in person about it, but i do not like the overall descicion that was made. i understand that Nig-nog is also the name of a drink, but seriously, would you ever call someone a drink? the whole thing was about the "gears of war 2" thread in our forums, and i wish i had printed a screen off and showed you guys exactly what had been said. but from top of the mind, i believe that this was said:

"scanty, get gears you nig-nog"

XGC Holiday read it, as did a few others. fact of the matter is, XGC is an 18 and up community. are you seriously trying to say that someone who is supposedly over the age of 18 does not know the meaning of that word? i have heard la resistance and his racist manner several times, and yet again, apart from the aformentioned, nobody had asked if he had said something in a racial derogatory manner before. i can tell you exactly what he has said like it was yesterday. i saw it as my duty to file a complaint which was well within a breach of the honor code. who can blame me? i was doing my job and i think i executed it very well. but apart from Viper PCing me, i was left out of the loop with something that involved me as a person filing a complaint

XGC HYLANDER XC

COMMUNITY LEADER
XG CONTRIBUTER
X-TEAM
Mar 27, 2006
somewhere on the internet
This issues seems to have come full circle a few times. I was not involved initially as I was offline a bunch while it went down. I would like to clear something up.

Racism of any kind will get you kicked out PERIOD. The Council has had this position since day one of XG and we have spammed that message out many times. I don't care what you think the Honor code says or how anyone tries to flip it to say someone should be warned first. The honor code is there to guide us in our decisions and in reality is simple to understand. If you are a bad person that lies, cheats and causes trouble, we don't want you here. end of story.

That said, if you use a racist term in any language you can bet you will be kicked out.

Now, we are left with the emotion and overal underlying meaning behind what was said to consider if kicking someone out is accurate.

Sounds like to me there is a case to be made both ways. Someone known for using such statements used one which possibily was an attempt to get around the censors of the site and hide what was really being said.

OR, someone used a friendly slang term that is used in their daily life that doesn't have the same meaning that others think.

Either way it was offensive to someone and had to be dealt with.

Using common sense and the facts at hand the leaders dealt with this issue and that is that. You don't have to like it but leaving the community and acting like crazy people because of a disagreement over the internet is just dumb.

Be mad, but be happy. In the end we are all human and we make mistakes. Get over it already and get back to the one thing that we can agree on, having fun playing video games!!!!!

The rest is all drama. Leave that for the real world as we got enough of it there.

XGC HYLANDER XC

COMMUNITY LEADER
XG CONTRIBUTER
X-TEAM
Mar 27, 2006
somewhere on the internet
the comment was directed towards me, we were talking about Gears 2 and the comment was "get it you nig nog". by the way, who's the 15 year old?

Scanty, I see your from the UK. With that being directed to you how did you take it?

Friendly jesture or racist comment?

Be honest as it would be an important factor in the decision making process.

XGC Advent

XG CONTRIBUTER
Sep 12, 2007
Valley View, TX
Thank you for that well-worded explanation, Hylander. I'm sorry if it seems like I'm trying to start drama, but that is far from the truth. I didn't leave for this reason alone; several other factors influenced my decision to leave, mainly because of drama and the fact that my contributions to the community had tripled leaving me little time to "have fun playing video games."

Regardless, my reasons are my own and given the circumstances I don't expect to be allowed back into the community by the Council. So, all I can say is thank you for the prompt and elaborate response. I hope to see many of you on Xbox LIVE. :)

XGC Halcyon

Carpel Tunnel
Aug 20, 2008
UK
i do believe that you dont use the word in question as a friendly term. it is a racial slur. myself, and loads of other people from the UK have heard this used as an insulting word used towards black people.

now the comment was made to scanty81, who i know for a fact is not a black guy, but a white male from england (we are friends on facebook). none the less, perhaps it is more down to principals rather than accuracy of the comment. i knew scanty was not a black male before i even made light of the complaint, but i wasnt gonna sit idly by and let such racial bigotry kill off our forums and have no chance of recruiting any prospective gamers into backfire. we all dedicate a lot of time into the user group, and i didnt want it to go this way. however i will not hide things from people. i have made it very clear that i dont allow this kinda stuff where i am. nor do i condone it.

and scanty, resistance is 15. his birthday was last month