Welcome to Xiled Gaming
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

GENERALS FAQ

blondiizzle

Carpel Tunnel
Dec 9, 2006
Pregame Lobby
Nice job Halodaddy. I definitely do a lot of sitting in pregame lobby, but I consider it being available to my squads and anyone who needs me. And half the time I am so busy in pregame that I do not have the time to play games - I usually spend three or four hours on Sundays helping people with issues and questions and meetings, and then go to another game to get away from it. All leaders have different styles of leadership, so just remember to take that in to consideration.

You also have to take into consideration other squads that he might be in - if he is also in other XG squads, you do have to talk to his other Generals as well. Your rank is across all of XG, so if he is doing his job in other squads, then I would consider working with a LT and training them to become a Captain. If his LT is being his "right-hand man" and organizing practices and squad meetings, then no harm done to the squad, and he is actually doing a good job of training his LT to become a Captain. Now, if his work, or lack thereof, is effecting the squad that he has been assigned, I would consider assigning his squad to someone else, after communicating with him what he needs to do to show you that he wants to run a good squad. I have one or two Captains in my Halo2 clan that came with the clan, that play other games, and I don't consider their H2 activity when handling my squads - I have two H2 active Captains assigned to each squad that handle their squad meetings and practices (My co-General and I consider it good training in working with someone else so that in the future it will help them to cooperatively general effectively.) This also helps when a Captain has personal problems and goes offline, the squad still runs smoothly in their absence.

I have yet to demote someone for any reason - but if I were going to demote someone, they would have to be making some serious mistakes. Inproper recruiting, constant personality conflicts, disrespect. And one of the main things to do in these situations, like Carbon said, would be to sit with them and work it out. If they are not actually doing any harm to the clan or causing any drama, who is it hurting? Communication is key - I spend a lot of time talking to my Captains about what is going on in their squads and providing them with guidance so that they can work on becoming our future Generals.

--Next Subject--

Sorry, that was long-winded. Perhaps for this FAQ you could take the original post and make it into a summary so that people do not have to read through the discussions - sort of like a squad list - we discuss, and then the conclusion can be in the first post in the thread:

Q. (page) blah blah?
A. (page) blah blah blah.

Then people can go look at the reasoning behind the Q&A, but also get a quick summary and not have to dig through discussion, because honestly, there are always people who think they know, but were mis-informed... This way we can get the correct answer and then get it summarized on the first post?

Last edited:

iRSoNicee

Forum Veteran
May 18, 2006
Florida
wow blondii good stuff right there, i like it alot the way you gave examples and everything..... way to take the time to let everyone know that and another kudos to being available on sundays like you are to listen to members problems and help sort them out

XxSnowyxX

Forum Junkie
Jan 7, 2007
Canada
Sometimes a Captain simply does not care anymore and whatever you do say to him inorder to motivate him does not matter.

I had such Cpt and I sat in Private parties with him more than a few times explaining that he needs to take a more active role and he continue to tell me that he would, I let it slide for awhile until I noticed that his Squad was getting worse and he was doing nothing. I was force to demote him, I did not like it but he was replaced with someone who did a much better job and I think that it is important.

I dont like to demote but I am not afraid to do it if I feel the person is weakening my squad.

Xx Mr Bill xX

Forum Junkie
Dec 10, 2006
Cleveland, OH
www.coldfusionlc.com
Three to four hours? Jeeze, well, I don't think I'm uncommitted but I hardly spend an hour on Sunday listening to peoples problems. It could be that you have a lot more people in your clan, as there are only 39 in Phoenix, or you have a lot of major issues. But it seems to me that whenever someone comes to me with a problem most of the time it is a problem that can be resolved in a few minutes at the max. Most of the problems now can be solved in between the members without going to a captain or a general.

The only problems or things that people have absolutely had to come to myself about so far was a gamertag change, a clan hit, someone cheating, a person going inactive, and trash talking / tea-bagging. Most of those take maybe 10 minutes to resolve at the maximum. That includes getting the story from both side, in the case of cheating checking games. Even a clan hit, which we went through in Supremacy and had to make a new clan, Phoenix, because of the circumstances, it took probably a collective hour. Most of that time was probably spent by my co-general and our section leader (I was a captain at the time) questioning the other captains.

As for demotions, I have to say with some unhappiness that I have seen several captains demoted and have demoted one myself. None of the captains were my choice because they were all captains before I was even a captain myself. Most of them got demoted because they didn't do anything, they got their squad and then for some reason didn't come back. Its almost like a curse, its changing now but still, sometimes people can't play halo 2 anymore. It happened to 2 former generals in Supremacy and several of the captains there. The generals knew they were going so they left and told people, but with captains they would disappear for weeks and never say a word. Its all changing now though, I haven't seen a demotion of any of the captains that I had a voice in choosing so I am happy with that.

blondiizzle

Carpel Tunnel
Dec 9, 2006
Pregame Lobby
Most of the issues that come to me are outside of my clans, I have five squads over two games and play on a clancompete team in another game. I also do a lot on the website meeting people and helping them and stuff. We also have had two clan hits in our section, so there has been a lot of moving around of Generals and squads and restructuring. Plus a lot of people use me for my contacts... Anyways, I do what I can to make XG fun for everyone...

And recently I've had to deal with a couple of people in XG trash-talking members of my clan, actually. That's always fun.

Personally I feel that if they have earned the rank of Captain, they've shown the knowledge of XG necessary to maintain that rank even if they don't fill the role in a specific squad anymore. If they don't take up the responsibility, find someone who will. I am not afraid to demote anyone, either, but I don't think that people should be demoted for being an active member of the clan, whether or not they recruit or run squad practices.

Xx Mr Bill xX

Forum Junkie
Dec 10, 2006
Cleveland, OH
www.coldfusionlc.com
Most of the issues that come to me are outside of my clans, I have five squads over two games and play on a clancompete team in another game. I also do a lot on the website meeting people and helping them and stuff. We also have had two clan hits in our section, so there has been a lot of moving around of Generals and squads and restructuring. Plus a lot of people use me for my contacts... Anyways, I do what I can to make XG fun for everyone...

And recently I've had to deal with a couple of people in XG trash-talking members of my clan, actually. That's always fun.

Personally I feel that if they have earned the rank of Captain, they've shown the knowledge of XG necessary to maintain that rank even if they don't fill the role in a specific squad anymore. If they don't take up the responsibility, find someone who will. I am not afraid to demote anyone, either, but I don't think that people should be demoted for being an active member of the clan, whether or not they recruit or run squad practices.

Ahh, 5 clans, that might explain it. As to the captains thing, yes, as long as they are an active member of the clan I'm glad to have them. Its the people who recruit and run squad practices that are the more dedicated though. The guy I had to demote didn't even come to captain/lieutenants meetings once out of the 5 or 6 times that he could have and he is just starting to post on the forums and play with the clan more, I think he got the message fortunately.

SYN Southpaw

Forum Veteran
Dec 10, 2006
Deep in the Adirondacks
Something I've noticed with alot of the more enthusiastic members is that they tend to do that alot. They'll recruit like crazy, go to all the practices/meetings, do whatever they can for the clan, right up until they get their Captain position. It's actually happened to me a few times, and it really sucks when a member with that kind of potential burns themselves out so early. Those kinds of members are good for growing your clan, but you have to be careful to ease them into whatever position they're getting. If you move them too fast it can cause resentment twords you from the lower ranks that might've been good, active members for longer than them, but didn't really do anything to get noticed, and it can get to the person getting promoted's head, make them think that since they got their Captain spot they can start shirking their duties.

As far as keeping a large squad stable goes I've found that having more mellow, solid Captains is a huge plus. Getting Captains that are level-headed and know their job inside and out is essential to any squad, even if they're not huge recruiters or on 5 hours a day every day. They're also much, much less prone to hitting clans, which is always a good thing.

Either way, when a Captain's not doing their job I usually just tell them to take a break from being a Captain. I make them a peon, have them switch to the Sgt symbol for a while, and tell them to let me know when they're going to start being more active. If they ask why they can't stay a Captain I tell them that if they're not doing their job, there's no reason to keep them in that particular position. I do make sure to stress to them that's it's really not a punishment, though. I try to make it sound more positive than anything else so that when and if they do start being more active, making more of an effort, I can make them a Captain again without worrying.

XxSnowyxX

Forum Junkie
Jan 7, 2007
Canada
If you have to take a break from Captains than you are not cut out for the job.

Sometime when people acquire a certain rank they were working towards and once they get it they look around and than think to themselves what is there left for me now. Those are the kinds of people who are in XG to rank up because they enjoy to rank up instead of being apart of XG for the members and having the chance to meet great people very day. Like look at some of generals here in this thread I have seen them around for quite some time and they cont to work towards making their squads and XG a much better place. that this what makes a XG leader. and you look at Lt's who get promoted to Cpt and Cpts who get promoted to General leave in 30 days because they feel there is nothing left for them in XG.

blondiizzle

Carpel Tunnel
Dec 9, 2006
Pregame Lobby
You guys all bring up excellent points. I do wonder about the "taking a break from being a captain" method, just because some people could take that to the extreme, regain their captain's position, and then hit the clan out of resentment for whatever embarrassment or hurt feelings that they may have. But, if it works for you, more power to you. I guess it depends on the squad and your relationship with your members.

I definitely agree with having more mellow, stable captains in leadership positions, although I have seen slightly more, um, "excitable" people work their way through the ranks quite well, too. As long as they know how to work well with others, perform their duties well, and maintain a professional attitude in handling difficult situations fairly, then they can be a great force, especially in recruiting and getting their squads excited about things like meetings and practices.

The thing with the "enthusiastic" members, and I may have appeared to have been one of them, when I made Captain, yeah, I recruited like crazy while I had the room on my friends list to be meeting new people, but the longer I remained in XGC the harder it was for me to recruit because it was harder to find the room on my friends list to maintain outside contacts. I relied more on helping my squad members to recruit by being there, playing with them, and continuing to be enthusiastic about the clan and community. So I didn't get a lot of recruits myself. So, just because a Captain isn't recruiting people to their name doesn't necessarily mean that they aren't helping to bring people in. And recruiting isn't all that is a Captain's job, it's making sure that people in their squad and the clan follow the rules and play together, run meetings and attend meetings.

Last edited:

Xx Mr Bill xX

Forum Junkie
Dec 10, 2006
Cleveland, OH
www.coldfusionlc.com
If you have to take a break from Captains than you are not cut out for the job.

Sometime when people acquire a certain rank they were working towards and once they get it they look around and than think to themselves what is there left for me now. Those are the kinds of people who are in XG to rank up because they enjoy to rank up instead of being apart of XG for the members and having the chance to meet great people very day. Like look at some of generals here in this thread I have seen them around for quite some time and they cont to work towards making their squads and XG a much better place. that this what makes a XG leader. and you look at Lt's who get promoted to Cpt and Cpts who get promoted to General leave in 30 days because they feel there is nothing left for them in XG.

I don't know, sometimes people get actually tired with handling everyone in their squad, especially if you have a big squad. As a captain you are one of the first people who gets notified of a problem within your squad. Also, they are the ones who deal with the petty problems in the clan many times. Sometimes people just need to take a break from gaming completely to sort out their lives. So, I can see why captains need to take a break sometimes, generals may have influence over the entire clan but captains are the ones who see the people in their squad the most and deal with the stuff that isn't necessarily important enough for a general to listen to, like people who have problems with other squad members.

XGC Halodaddy

Forum Star
Dec 10, 2006
Florida
www.myspace.com
sometimes people need breaks. that is why there is not one captain in a clan there are several. 1 capt to 10 members is ideal. However if A captain is not doing his job due to laziness and shows no interest in running meetings or practices. Then that person should probaby be demoted. However, when and if you demote someone dont be a (male body part) about it. simply let them know that others in the clan are up for promotion and they are tying their spot up. If they really like XG they should not mind. If they leave and get upset they probably don't care at all about XG. Also anytime a capt needs to be demoted you should ask who promoted them. It is usually, NOT ALWAYS, the general that promotes the captains fault for not giving them enough time as a Lt. to see how they handle responsibility. Remember we cannot play favorites with anyone as a general we must promote on clan performance and activity.
Some questions to ask yourself when promoting a capt.
1) How long has he been in XG? (A general or good captain should have join dates written down) Bungie has join dates, but if your clan gets hit or someone boots or leaves by accident it is no longer accurate. Gamer Tag changes also effect bungies clan list join date.
2) Does this person make meetings and practices?
3) when he/she does read the honor code do they make the extra effort and teach recruits rank structure, rank requirements, meeting/practice times, and go into detail about xiledgaming.com.
4) Do they ever sign on our website(s)
5) Do they get along and even when they dont get along respect EVERY XG MEMBER[B/]
6) do they have any recruits or at least try to get recruits?

XGC HYLANDER XC

COMMUNITY LEADER
XG CONTRIBUTER
X-TEAM
Mar 27, 2006
somewhere on the internet
Nice job Halodaddy. I definitely do a lot of sitting in pregame lobby, but I consider it being available to my squads and anyone who needs me. And half the time I am so busy in pregame that I do not have the time to play games - I usually spend three or four hours on Sundays helping people with issues and questions and meetings, and then go to another game to get away from it. All leaders have different styles of leadership, so just remember to take that in to consideration.

You also have to take into consideration other squads that he might be in - if he is also in other XG squads, you do have to talk to his other Generals as well. Your rank is across all of XG, so if he is doing his job in other squads, then I would consider working with a LT and training them to become a Captain. If his LT is being his "right-hand man" and organizing practices and squad meetings, then no harm done to the squad, and he is actually doing a good job of training his LT to become a Captain. Now, if his work, or lack thereof, is effecting the squad that he has been assigned, I would consider assigning his squad to someone else, after communicating with him what he needs to do to show you that he wants to run a good squad. I have one or two Captains in my Halo2 clan that came with the clan, that play other games, and I don't consider their H2 activity when handling my squads - I have two H2 active Captains assigned to each squad that handle their squad meetings and practices (My co-General and I consider it good training in working with someone else so that in the future it will help them to cooperatively general effectively.) This also helps when a Captain has personal problems and goes offline, the squad still runs smoothly in their absence.

I have yet to demote someone for any reason - but if I were going to demote someone, they would have to be making some serious mistakes. Inproper recruiting, constant personality conflicts, disrespect. And one of the main things to do in these situations, like Carbon said, would be to sit with them and work it out. If they are not actually doing any harm to the clan or causing any drama, who is it hurting? Communication is key - I spend a lot of time talking to my Captains about what is going on in their squads and providing them with guidance so that they can work on becoming our future Generals.

--Next Subject--

Sorry, that was long-winded. Perhaps for this FAQ you could take the original post and make it into a summary so that people do not have to read through the discussions - sort of like a squad list - we discuss, and then the conclusion can be in the first post in the thread:

Q. (page) blah blah?
A. (page) blah blah blah.

Then people can go look at the reasoning behind the Q&A, but also get a quick summary and not have to dig through discussion, because honestly, there are always people who think they know, but were mis-informed... This way we can get the correct answer and then get it summarized on the first post?

Are you trying to compete with my Novels? LOL!!

Very good stuff in this post and I hope all Generals read it and learn from it.

Thanks for all your are doing for XG!!

XGC HYLANDER XC

COMMUNITY LEADER
XG CONTRIBUTER
X-TEAM
Mar 27, 2006
somewhere on the internet
Hey Mr Bill, I have spent 3 to 4 hours every day some weeks. On Sunday, I go from 6 cst to whenever. That sometimes means 11 cst or later!
Sunday is the day though that I do not expect to play any games as that is when business is done.

Other days though, I no longer try to work out problems unless it is something very major. All issues truly can wait till Sunday.

You can't just get on and deal with drama every minute you are signed in. We pay to be on XBL and play games and that is what we all need to do. If we train everyone properly then each rank would have less drama and stress to deal with.

Bad captains mean more work for Generals so all Generals need to be 100% sure that the person they promote to captain is truly ready for the position.
Same goes for Section Leaders promoting people to General.

Here is something for you to consider -
130 plus XGC squads with approx 300 Generals in them.
Guess who gets to be available to them all?
A Section Leader.

XGC Phoenix 31

Forum Nerd
Apr 14, 2007
A Land Down Under
Honor code violations i would put them on the DNR list. There not suited for XG if there going around violating our code. Inactivity or if they choose to leave they havent violated the code and should be allowed a chance back if they wish to do so :D

XGC Pentagram

Forum Veteran
Dec 10, 2006
Wisconsin
BS! You are under MY Leadership!!!!

jk, but seriously, Element doesnt play very much anymore, and you are a general, you answer to ExiT and thats about it!

XGC TwIsTeDMiNd

Forum Member
Dec 10, 2006
Michigan
Ok this thread hasnt been posted in for a long time. I thought I might freshen it up a bit. First off, Yes, My name has been changed due to Bad Name Feedbacks. So instead of XGC COOTER its Now this. Second, I cant access the DNR list since the update to the page. Ive been trying for so long to get access and to even find it. I havent been able to use a computer much lately due to Full time work and school. And the fact that a computer is not always available in my household. 6 People in the same house with 2 computers....Hmmm. So any help would be appreciated. Thanks and Have a Great Day!

John

KoG Tommy

XG CONTRIBUTER
Jun 24, 2007
seattle
Good morning fallow gamers. I have couple Squad members looking to be part of XG Clans in both Call Duty 4 & Gears Of War. Can some one message me with who the Gen's would be running clans in said games, Please. Thank you.