Welcome to Xiled Gaming
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

POSING.. I GUESS IT'S A FULL TIME JOB?

XGC 1 Actual

XG CONTRIBUTER
Dec 11, 2010
Northern Kentucky
It seems of recently I have come into contact with more people who are "misrepresenting", for a better term, themselves as US Military.
Tonight, while enjoying a game on World War on storm 8 for android, I was blown away by two other people posting on my wall and identifying themselves as SEALS. The conversation is poorly presented, so I won't go into details, but as I sit here talking with my buddy Marcus who was with 2 in Iraq and 6 in Afghanistan, It just saddens me that people would attempt to take credit for others work.
This world if filled with a lot of messed up things (people included)...

Inked Ivy

Carpel Tunnel
Oct 7, 2009
Auckland, Aotearoa
As a female gamer you wouldn't believe how many guys pose as service members just to try and get our attention on Xbox Live. As I have had the honour of speaking to real US service men (through Xiled Gaming mainly) you can definitely tell the posers from the real (self discipline, respect for others, courtesy etc are all traits that stand out).

It's a real shame that they feel the need to "elevate" themselves by putting themselves in a false position they probably can't fulfill in reality.

Still, it's not just Military - as long as people have the anonymity of the internet they will claim they are anything just to make them stand out from the honest. I've run into fake doctors, pro gamers (especially kids who have deluded ideas that they are clans like Optic), "spies" (that was hilarious).... the list goes on.

Even people who may be future military members think they are gods because of it and can go on braging online, these types aren't too bad though as I just interpret it as pride.. I plan to take my career into the NZRAF or army but it doesn't mean I go around claiming to be something I'm not.

XvBigPapavX

XG CONTRIBUTER
Feb 13, 2007
Where Uncle Sam says....
There will always be those who pretend to serve to either pick up a girl, or look good. But yes i don't understand why people want to lie about it, if you want to say your in the military then join the military, sure u have to work for it either academically or physically, unless u have made bad choices in the past, or have a legit medical problem the military is open to anyone that can handle it.

But yes u can definitely tell when people are not being truthful about their military background, a few questions and they start to hesitate on their answers lol or just have no idea what their talking about and just mess up the funniest little bump would have to be when i was recruiting at a high school maybe a year or two back for the ROTC Unit i was at, and this kid couldn't have been more than 15 obviously a JROTC guy as he was wearing the wind breaker....no offense to anyone that took JROTC but he was the kind of guy that couldn't pass PE so he was put in JROTC lol.....But anyway he came up to me and i was being nice gave him an info packet because i had a lot and he says "i don't need one", and i was like ohh your not interested? and he says "no Im is already a 2nd Lt". and i was like oh wow me too lol, and he goes on about how he was first a 1st Sgt. Then moved to Captain but he thought it best to be a 2nd Lt since it had no responsibility lol...at this point i was trying so hard not to laugh but i asked if he didn't mean in JROTC and he said no his dad was a 4 star General in the Army and he could be any rank he wanted lol me and my buddies still laugh about that to this day lol

It just goes to show you that anyone can pretend lol but most people don't do a lot of checkin on their facts lol....but even so its not illegal to pretend...unless they are wearing the uniform and are not in then i would love to see them arrested lol

XGC SleepyUrans

Forum Veteran
Jul 13, 2011
Alabama
Ya'll all bring up very good points , iv seen it 2, when people go in the military they don't do it for the money lol they do it for the Love of God, Family ,Country. Its a Duty to be proud of. But sadly enough you still have ppl posing , acting, thinking, that they are in the service and are not and trying very hard to convince other ppl that they are. It bothers me , but you are 1 who will have 2 live with urself for lying by saying u served ur country honorably.

USMC/RET.
SEMPER FI

Last edited:

The Chosen One

Get A Life!
Aug 9, 2010
Anywhere but France.
Why should you care what people say online? I mean your never going to meet them and what they do or dont do for a living dosent effect you in anyway.

If they want to say they are in the military, are a doctor, an actuary or anything else then just let them. What ever makes them happy.

Inked Ivy

Carpel Tunnel
Oct 7, 2009
Auckland, Aotearoa
No but it effects the gullible few online who can get drawn in and stung by these guys.
And since I care about greater society rather than my personal experience ,and the wider effect of such individuals who take such posing into the real world i.e illegally posing as police/military/doctors to pick up and rape women or injure people I would be concerned.

On the other hand it is out of respect for those who serve and those who have served; which includes members of my extended family and heritage which I take pride in.

All of this coming from someone who isn't PC or largely patriotic.

XGC Zoidberg

XG CONTRIBUTER
Jan 5, 2010
Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
My great grandfather served in the army during WWII as an infantryman. He was at Pearl Harbor, and also fought in Europe. I find it offensive not only to his memory, but the memory of every fallen soldier who gave his or her life so that we can enjoy the freedoms afforded to us. The men and women of our military make the ultimate sacrifice on a daily basis, and should always be respected, regardless of how one feels about a certain conflict, past or present.

As I already said, posing as a meber of our armed forces is despicable regardless of the reason. To all the posers: Just be yourself. Having someone like you for somebody you pretend to be is pointless, and you will always have to work hard to maintain that charade. It is just so much easier to be yourself.

The Chosen One

Get A Life!
Aug 9, 2010
Anywhere but France.
I have the utmost respect for the people in the British Military, after all they are the most successful military in the world. Their soldiers the most trained.

They do deserve respect, but no more so than the people that make sure our countries arent third world countries. People like the bankers (who imo falsely get blammed for the current economic situation), entrapeneurs, ect. These people deserve the same if not more respect than those in the military imho, after all they have allowed us to vastly improve our quality of life.

Like I said before I am not really that concerned what someone says they do for a living. Yes there are guliable people that will get taken in by these ideas, but the parents of the person that gets taken in need to take some responsibility. I mean even the schools over here tell you about "safety online" when you are in primary school so it is drilled into people over heres age at a very young age.

If someone wants to pretend they are in the military (or any other profession) then let them, itll probably be the closest they will ever get to being that, which is a bit sad imo.

Last edited:

XGC 1 Actual

XG CONTRIBUTER
Dec 11, 2010
Northern Kentucky
Blite... For instructional purposes only, you can like and enjoy your opinion. I can as well; I have heart felt to people who serve in the military for one specific reason. You kinda seem to think its a joke or it doesn't really matter, where I seem to think its more. My reason, I have lost real friends who served in the military, in war and in peacetime. Some of these guys I was with when they took their last breathe. So in closing to your continual statements about WHY this subject doesn't matter, it matters to those who served who EARNED and those who LOST. I, at least, am not asking you to see or agree with this. Just respect it.

XGC Zoidberg

XG CONTRIBUTER
Jan 5, 2010
Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
I agree with Actual. My great grandfather might have survived through WWII but due to the chemicals used during the war and shrapnel from a grenade, he passed away just short of a year after he returned home. Along with close friends who are currently serving in Afghanistan, those are my reasons for feeling so adamant about this topic.

XGC 1 Actual

XG CONTRIBUTER
Dec 11, 2010
Northern Kentucky
Its funny, I was flying around the internet tonight and came across several websites such as AuthentiSEAL, POWNetwork.org, and others who's purpose is to CALL OUT the fakes and posers of our military. These websites also go on to CLARIFY the stolen valor act law and its punishment under FEDERAL law for posing with Military rank and certain awards!
Just made me sad thinking about some of the people I have come across in my life, especially recently, who have lied, posed, acted, whatever the part of a US Military Veteran.
No real such thing as "lesson learned" when you see this horrible disrespect over and over.........

The 1 Mr E

Banned
Mar 29, 2010
California
Ive worked as a bouncer for a local nightclub for a while (back in the day, i got tired of deeing beautiful people come in a total idiot retards walk out so i quit) It happened alot. Since I have been in 2 seperate branches I know certain lingo that all us REAL service members know and pick up on it. Just recently I was at a bar with a friend who recently came back from afghan, we were just catching up on old times, and this guy sat next to us, and proceeded to tell the rather attractive barkeep he was an MP with the Navy. I turned and told him that I was in the navy before i joined the army and the MP version of Navy guys were called Master at Arms, and most prided themselves on not being called MPs. He got upset, called my buddy some unkindly words claiming to be with a unit at a NAS where I MYSELF was actually stationed and knew didnt exist. Rich 'kindly' handed him his rear end (rich is a corpsman and knows whats up) The marines and navy always give eachother crap but its all in good fun, but them jarheads have always had the upmost respect for thier corpsmen. We were politly asked by a couple of very nice police officers after the incident to call it a night an not come back to the club for a few months. Ive met some dirty cops who ruin it for good cops but these two were prety cool (support uniforms an all). All in all, I think it should be a crime and punishable by law. My opinion.