Welcome to Xiled Gaming
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

MY XBOX HAS A RED LIGHT :(

MY XBOX HAS A RED LIGHT :(

• Call MicroSoft and Send it in

Votes: 20 76.9%
  • Towel Trick

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Open it up

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Leave it alone, buy another one (almost impossible)

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters

Silvyy

Carpel Tunnel
Feb 13, 2008
Salem, Mass
Its the AV cable or Chip. so it distorts the visual, If before it happened the picture was off it was the Chip, if it just popped up it could be the cables or another problem. But im not an expert.

OsloNights

Forum Veteran
Jun 13, 2009
New Jersey
At least you didn't get three red lights; means the hard drive is defective. There goes all my stuff. >:O Visit xbox.com for FAQs, I'm sure your problem is there. Microsoft may not cover your Xbox. Maybe it's not bad as you think the problem is. Could be just a simple fix. I think it has to be four red lights "Ring of death" in order to get another Xbox from Microsoft. Let us know and Good luck.

l DEC3PTION l

XG CONTRIBUTER
Jul 2, 2007
Michigan
i had the exact same incident. Its a problem that cannot be fixed without sending it into microsoft. trust me there is nothing you can do. Its a problem with the power devices. Itll be 100 dollars to fix, so it may be worth it to but a new one that doesnt come with a harddrive. those are only like 180 i think.

xjeremie

Forum Tourist
Feb 24, 2009
ya bear is right man but im very lucky and i bought mine at best buy and they offer a 2 year warrenty and you bring it in and that day they give you a brand new box right on the spot.

but there is no fixing it only to send it in the towel trick only buys time but breaks again in like i would say 4 days lol its really stupid just send it in the sooner you send it in the faster you will get it back.

SYN BLACK XS

XG CONTRIBUTER
May 31, 2009
Seattle
Oooook, as others may have said, going thru the official route will probably work out best for you, BUT it can take a while, depending on the severity of the problem, where you live and the number of units theyre working on... (they have sites in kentucky/texas)

The towel trick CAN work, but can just as easily make things worse and is not recommended.

Sometimes giving the console a few days break will work, but the first thing anyone should do when they get the ring is check all their A/V connections. Check their power supply (brick), and that it has enough access to cool air to function effectively.

NEVER OPEN YOUR 360's HOUSING - This voids the warranty and dooms your console forever. The chances that you or anyone can fix the problem is slim to none, so dont even try.

I'd seriously just call MS support 1-800-4MY-XBOX, unless you have the $$$ to get a new/refurbed console... its the best way

Ant

Forum Noob
Nov 11, 2009
Alabama
I have had this happen before call microsoft and it is way cheaper than getting a new one,it's free if you are in warrenty though