Welcome to Xiled Gaming
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

HELP DESK REQUESTS

FX Samurai

Forum Veteran
Dec 3, 2006
Middletown, DE
ive been noticing the help desk requests have been running rather slowly these days. Nothing really gets done. the member removals have been there for weeks as well as other help desk requests. I believe that all areas of the help desk need to be monitored by at least someone so that they all get done in a timely fashion.

Anybody have any response to this?

Silvyy

Carpel Tunnel
Feb 13, 2008
Salem, Mass
Its a hard job and there is a set group of people who file requests and solve requests. The members who do it deserve respect and for the work they do the pace is just fine in my opinion, it gets done and everyone should be happy.

FX Samurai

Forum Veteran
Dec 3, 2006
Middletown, DE
im not saying that i have a problem. I was just saying that we might wanna work on something to make it more efficient and run more smoothly. trust me, i have nothing but respect for all of the members in this community. I was simply trying to ignite the idea that there are more efficient ways to run the help desk and thus in return, helps the website based duties of XG run more smoothly.

Jangles

XG CONTRIBUTER
Dec 11, 2006
With the underpants gnomes
well I'm not going to point any fingers or say any names

but go through the list of admins and go through the help desk and see how many people complete the requests.

Do what you will with that information

XGC Rare FX

Forum Veteran
Nov 16, 2007
Ohio
I think the admins are blowing this way out of proportion, Xero is not trying to insult anyone, he's just stating that it is slow and he would like to see them pick up the pace, he's not pointing finger, you guys are the one coping a tude with him...

The best bet would be to have it almost mandatory that the admins do at least one Help Desk request a week or something along those lines, this site has ALOT of admins, and ALOT of people who can do ALOT of the requests, but it only comes down to a few people doing all of them, I don't think that the people who aren't doing them should be frowned at or the ones doing them should get a sticker, just it would be nice for things to pick up, some of the requests cant take you 5 minutes to fill....

ALSO, another idea, other than stated above. Maybe have a small section of the site (multimedia as an example) where you could have members apply for the spot of maybe "Help Desk Assistant" or something along those lines, obviously the application process would need to be rather intense but I could see that being a big help to clean things up (taking the weight off all the other leaders, seeing as they have there other responsibilities, having someone that doesn't have to deal with XG politics do the help desk)

Peace
HoSTiLe

Jangles

XG CONTRIBUTER
Dec 11, 2006
With the underpants gnomes
Help desk assistant?

The only way to fill the requests is to access the admin panel and the only way to do that is with admin privileges. There isn't a "semi-admin" option where you can just do requests but not have access all over the site.

I think the admins are blowing this way out of proportion

I'm the only admin who has responded to this thread so I don't think poor generalizations are needed.

XGC EMERY

Forum Veteran
Aug 1, 2007
Xero is not trying to insult anyone, he's just stating that it is slow and he would like to see them pick up the pace, he's not pointing finger

I have no problem with the pace i think everyone should just drop this becuase it seems silly arrguing about this. It get's done when it gets done and if someone wants to see things get done quicker there's no problem with that ether. Just deal with it people. I have to put a couple of smiley faces here so no one gets mad :) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):D:D:D:D:):):D:D:):):D:D

As having previous admin and mod access over sites larger than this one, I know all too well the time investment involved with taking on these roles, and this is on top of the existing leadership roles served with XG. In reviewing this thread I don't think there is anything wrong with challenging the process, as that is actually an attribute of a leader. I really doubt XG got to where it is today without changing along the way, and I say we welcome suggestions from the community on how to improve. Take it for what it is, a suggestion or performance observation from a contributing member of the community, who is obviously vested enough to want to bring this to someones attention or spark conversation on the topic in interest of improvement. Sometimes email or forum comments are taken the wrong way or out of context, due to the nature of the communication method. I do strongly feel though that it is valid, that when someone comes up with a problem or concern that they also suggest an equivalent solution, otherwise it tends to be classified as complaining.

If I am reading this correctly, we have numerous members with admin access however only a few are helping solve tickets with the helpdesk. Not knowing the roles and/or admin structure I am not sure if there are area's of assignment or if it is suggested that all admins participate in that section. Several possible solutions: implementation of a duty schedule where all admins could take rotation in handling these requests, increasing the size of the admin pool, hiring dedicated support, implementation of an SLA to set user expectations or many others.

In closing, conflict or discussions like these are healthy to any team... let's not get offended, but rather embrace member suggestions, right, wrong or indifferent.

Reactions: XGC ICON XD

XGC ICON XD

INACTIVE LEADER
XG CONTRIBUTER
Dec 11, 2006
CT
I support bluntmaster's statement. Very professional and also well written.

After reviewing open helpdesk tickets, there are only a few, for the amount that comes in, that are still open. I think that the turn around time displays well. I have seen many more open tickets in the helpdesk for longer periods of time.

Comments on a forum can turn ugly sometimes. We are all here to work together, not against each other.

Hylander has an idea thread. I recommend posting in it if you have ideas for the community.

BuNiTe

XG CONTRIBUTER
Dec 10, 2006
The Murda Mitten
Well i finally decided to stop in here and make my opinion on this matter. Seeing as im one of the admins who work on the HD. Quite frankly i hate seeing requests sit in there unattended 2. So for the most part i take care of them as soon as i see them which is almost right away because im on this site more than anyone. (i dare anyone to challenge that. lol) But yea sometimes after getting home from work or something im very tired and i decide to do them the next day. Needless to say all the helpdesk requests gets solved within 3 days at the most if there isnt a reason for it not to be done right away. If that isnt a fast enough time for you guys or if it isn't efficient enough. Then i donno wat to tell u guys because i know of other places where requests sit for weeks. That is my 2 cents on this. Now im gonna go take a nap as i just got off work. Peace. CHEA!!!

FX Samurai

Forum Veteran
Dec 3, 2006
Middletown, DE
I will actually challenge that accusation Bunite lol (I may not post all the time but Im constantly looking around.

But Bluntmaster actually hit it right in the head. This was my purpose in posting this thread. I noticed that in turn, the open tickets were actually in the help desk for well over a week. not a single one of them had been completed (save a small amount). This was an open discussion (not a complaint) about ways to make the help desk move alot quicker and smoother than it is running now. I'm not complaining. I'm constantly finding ways for which things can be done better or faster. I do it at work, I do it at home and Even when I'm with my friends/family most of the time.

However, My idea for the Help desk can be multiple choices. One involves a small handful of admins willing to do the requests assigned to each section of the help desk. Now each admin will have the option to either help another admin with his/her section or take up another section of the help desk as well. This helps admins focus on one specific part of the help desk that way no tickets are forgotten and (hopefully) they get done in a timely matter and none of the requests sit around for over a week or so.

Take what you will, I know this idea may not be perfect but being a leader is taking initiative and always looking around for improvement, Not taking everything as a complaint. This idea is up for discussion and feel free to prove some problems my idea might have.

BuNiTe

XG CONTRIBUTER
Dec 10, 2006
The Murda Mitten
Well here is my opinion on that. Some admins don't have that much time to work on that. I don't know if you have noticed but some of these requests are a handful and that is only one of them. Say some1 requests to have 20+ members removed from a usergroup and there are multiple requests like that. You know how long that would take. Some people just do what they can when they get on and sometimes requests get pushed back because of all the requests so the admins dont see them right away. Oh BTW go take a look at the helpdesk. I think all the request in there are done save the ones needing approval. haha! Kinda went on a spree last night with some help. (and i welcome your challenge xero) CHEA!!!

Well i finally decided to stop in here and make my opinion on this matter. Seeing as im one of the admins who work on the HD........

You know I think everyone deserves a round of thanks for the amount of time and effort the admins invest in maintaining the helpdesk and our forums. From my understanding these aren't paid positions, but these individuals are the glue that keeps the site together and updated. I can't speak for everyone but I know our section and my squad is truly appreciative of the dedication to our community. Keep up the great work, and don't be afraid to ask for help if it is needed.