Welcome to Xiled Gaming
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

16-YEAR-OLD DROPS OUT OF SCHOOL TO PLAY GUITAR HERO

SYN CodeBook

Forum Veteran
Aug 27, 2007
TEXAS
IM sorry but this is one of the funny things I have ever heard I Just had to share this with you all!!!!!

Regular readers know that I love video games as much as the next guy. In fact, my right ankle is still sore from drumming my way through a marathon Rock Band session last night (who knew calibrating the TV would make such a difference!?), and I'm always looking for the latest titles to pop into my Xbox.

But how much gaming is too much? For North Carolina native Blake Peebles, there's no such thing. Guitar Hero is his title of choice. "I usually play till I can't anymore," he says, in this profile from the News & Observer.

In fact, young Mr. Peebles is dropping out of high school... in order to focus on Guitar Hero full time. Peebles hopes to join the small but growing crew of players looking to make gaming a job. Citing his victories in Guitar Hero tournaments, which include "gift certificates, gaming equipment, and chicken sandwiches," Peebles thinks he has the chops to play competitively and earn actual money in the process. As the story notes, top gamers on the competitive circuit can earn up to $80,000 a year (though $25,000 is more common). Peebles, of course, can count his 52 Chick-fil-A combo meals toward that total.

I was at first inclined to disparage the decision by his parents to let Peebles drop out of school, but it seems a little less ridiculous when you delve into the facts. Peebles hahdn't been doing well in school and wasn't liked, and even now he isn't gaming full time. He has a tutor that provides a private education, and his parents say he's doing well with the more focused instruction and that their son now even does his homework without complaint. (Presumably he can hit the axe sooner after he's finished his studies.)

However, I worry that Peebles, who's just 16, may have a tough road ahead trying to break into competitive gaming. The costs of traveling to tournaments alone can totally outstrip earnings, and the amount of training can be grueling. Sponsorships are often a pipe dream. And then there's the issue of games going out of date and being replaced by something new. Traditional athletes never have to worry about, say, distance running being upgraded with a new version, but many games can go out of style, fast. In the end, there's just not much cash there: One gamer, quoted at the end of the linked article, says that in eight years his total earnings are about $25,000 total, and that's including a national championship in Halo 2.

What do you think, parents? Did Peebles' folks do the right thing in letting their son drop out of school?

Credits : SYN CodeBook XS and Some guy from Yahoo.com

Romance

Forum Junkie
Jan 31, 2007
www.myspace.com
"gift certificates, gaming equipment, and chicken sandwiches," Im sorry thats just the funniest line ever.

But in a book called "the film club" David Gilmore allowes his son to drop out of school on two conditions. 1) He cant do drugs. 2) He has to watch 3 movies a week with him. Gilmore chooses the movies. And in the end the kid turned out fine. The world is changing. U dont have to go to school to live a good life anymore. Everything is changing. For the better? Maybe, maybe not. But if this kid wants to do his passion forever. I say god bless and let the chicken sandwiches keep comin.

XD V Dub XD

Forum Member
Mar 27, 2008
Hazleton, Pennsylvania
sweet lord that is ridiculous. they are only gonna make so many GH games and just watch when the guitar hero XI, an example people dont get your hopes up, craze comes to an end, Mr. Peebles will be out of a job. He would have no profession and NOBODY, well besides the random chick-fil-a, cuz he does have quite a profession in those, would hire him. So if you guys keep up on this in the next 8 years we will find him working in a chick-fil-a. And that is my ripple of eeevvvilllll. teehee i love that show. (Root of All Evil :))

XGC FAILSAFE

Carpel Tunnel
Jul 30, 2008
Where the green grass is
I cant stand when i hear kids doing this. Why not just finish highschool. I mean hes never gonna amount to anything in life. When he finally moves out of his parents house hes only gonna be working at the BK flippin burgers. Oh well its his life so who cares

XGC Independant

Get A Life!
Jan 19, 2008
lynchburg, Va
I look at the social problems this kid will have as an adult. By not going to high school and staying home all day playing games he will not have the basic skills to interact with people. And will end up being another burden on the rest of us. Thanks parents

I_Drav3n_I

Forum Member
Aug 29, 2008
Charleston, WV
myspace.com
What's sad about this story is that it is unfortunately true. The gaming world will take a blow by parents and politicians around the country because of the inscrutable action of one (probably neglected) teen. I feel sorry for this kid because he was more than likely brought up to expect nothing more out of himself (or life for that matter) other than an achievement on a video game. Truly sad...

Mabuhay Ka

Forum Junkie
Apr 19, 2008
That kid is a genious-drop out school to play a video game...that is so retarded,but thats ok he can get a job pumping gas....oh wait..he will still need a diploma for that job too.

well some ppl dont feel they have a future other then video games and hell maybe he might luck out even if ppl think its stupid you really gotta try an see it from there point of view would you rather your son/daughter be verbally and possibly physically abused in 1 enviroment or let them be happy an see a smile on there face to be honest as a parent i wouldnt know what to do but i wouldnt wanna see my child be emotionally screwed up :(......