Welcome to Xiled Gaming
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

XBOX TO RELEASE TV APP!

Inked Ivy

Carpel Tunnel
Oct 7, 2009
Auckland, Aotearoa
New Zealand.
You wouldn't believe how annoying it is to get Netflix and Indie Game invites (among other things) when they are not available here. Yet generally we pay a bit more than most other countries for a gold subscription.

Inked Ivy

Carpel Tunnel
Oct 7, 2009
Auckland, Aotearoa
Official announcement recap -

TA said:
In an address sure to divide gaming fans, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer has officially announced the forthcoming TV service that we saw previewed at E3 back in June. Speaking at a financial analyst meeting, Ballmer said Microsoft and the Xbox team are working with "dozens or hundreds of video content-suppliers" and that these entertainment options will be made available on-demand, in addition to some live TV.

[External Image]

What programs they will offer, what regions it will be available in, or whether a price increase is included is not yet known. Earlier in the year, pre-E3 rumors were swirling about a new Xbox LIVE Diamond subscription plan which would include a television subscription. The name makes sense (you know, silver, gold, diamond), but nothing concrete ever came out of it other than Xbox reps showcasing the TV services that we now know are due to hit the dashboard sometime at the end of the year.

While some gamers wish Microsoft would just have the Xbox stick to gaming, others, including seemingly everyone at Microsoft, knows video game consoles have the opportunity to become next-generation home entertainment hubs. Microsoft and Xbox want to ensure their console is the frontrunner by making it an all-encompassing media device. From a business standpoint, people are curious to see if Microsoft can succeed where Apple TV and Google have failed when they tried to popularize similar services.

The application will utilize Bing and Kinect voice controls to find content, though it wouldn't seem likely you'll have to own a Kinect for the new service to work.

With just a few months remaining until the clock runs out on 2011, and the holiday season approaching, Microsoft will surely begin its marketing campaign soon to ensure holiday shoppers are well-informed when they spend their life savings this winter. Therefore, more details should be on their way over the coming weeks and months.

KoG Jehuty

Carpel Tunnel
Dec 6, 2010
Deland, Florida
www.youtube.com
I am sure you have some other services though, I lived in england for 7 years and I used Sky app to watch tv through my 360. I am sure in NZ you have some sort of similar service. If not, I am betting they will be available soon :D

Inked Ivy

Carpel Tunnel
Oct 7, 2009
Auckland, Aotearoa
I am sure you have some other services though, I lived in england for 7 years and I used Sky app to watch tv through my 360. I am sure in NZ you have some sort of similar service. If not, I am betting they will be available soon :D

Nope. Nor do they plan to release one.
Another drawback you have an under 18 account you can't use prepay MS points. Thankfully I was aware of this before giving my real details to my account lmao. No free content i.e. gamerpics/themes from advertisers.... the list goes on.

Only good thing is with such a small online community it is really easy to speak with mods/MS workers. I've gotten a free harddrive transfer kit (when they started telling people to buy them), won some MS points over the MS forum, got a free game worth 1200msp- all things unlikely to occur elsewhere.

Anyway, this is off topic.

KoG Jehuty

Carpel Tunnel
Dec 6, 2010
Deland, Florida
www.youtube.com
People should vote for your country to be allowed to have some sort of service like netflix, hulu or somthing. When I first joined XBL I never made a child account lol I was like nope... Straight away I knew if I did then I would miss out on a lot of oppurtunities :D

XGG Mizz Pixie

Forum Veteran
Nov 30, 2010
Riverview, Florida
People should vote for your country to be allowed to have some sort of service like netflix, hulu or somthing. When I first joined XBL I never made a child account lol I was like nope... Straight away I knew if I did then I would miss out on a lot of oppurtunities :D

I started out with a child account and sadly that was super annoying getting my dads password from him a million times just to download a rated M demo or watch Zune -__-

And cable for xbox...what will they think of next?