Welcome to Xiled Gaming
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

WHAT DETERMINES SKILL?

moseph

Forum Junkie
Oct 7, 2009
eugene oregon
i have a few of my own opinions, but i'd like to hear what you guys have to say before i reveal mine :p

do you think it's KDR, SPM, W/L or some other variable? does it differ between games and game modes?

discuss!

XGC Daystar

Forum Star
Aug 11, 2012
snarksalot.blogspot.com
I think it really depends. The most obvious answer is KD. But when you're in an objective game, I couldn't care less about your KD if you're the one carrying the ball or delivering the flag. Also, I think there's a lot to be said of people who are supportive--the ones who increase morale, do callouts, and are always there to pick up the assist. I've seen too many people who have great KDs but are crappy communicators, and thus bad team players.

In short, I think there are a lot of areas in which to be skillful, and you don't have to master them all to be considered a skilled player in my book.

Apatz

XG CONTRIBUTER
Dec 22, 2012
I would have to agree with daystar. This being said I have a 1.72 kd and have played on a team with similar kd and still got beat this was because everyone wasworried about getting kills. This is why idont care about kd because a team of player's with good communication is tougher team to beat

Lady Valor 7711

Forum Veteran
Nov 1, 2012
Washington
I would say KD, but I am not a bad player and my KD isn't the best. Have good and bad days ya know. And a lot of people who only camp have real high KD, and so I can't rely on that. You kinda just have to play with people to see

moseph

Forum Junkie
Oct 7, 2009
eugene oregon
i believe it's completely dependent on the game mode. if you're playing TDM the sure, it's somewhat KDR, but even then you could be the person playing support. taking out claymores and betties if you know the enemy is bunkered down somewhere. or even flanking the enemy if your team is bunkered down.

if you're playing Domination i'd think it's a combo of SPM, caps and defends. same thing in CTF. and in stuff like KC and Hardpoint, i'd say it's kind of the same as TDM, SPM and KDR.

W/L doesn't factor in at all imo unless you are only playing FFA, then it's one of the main factors.

Lady Valor 7711

Forum Veteran
Nov 1, 2012
Washington
Good point moseph. FFA is really the only way w/l matters really, because any other game mode it is pretty much out of your hands because you can be doing amazing in a match and still lose because your win or loss depends on the group you are teamed with.

Wag Of Beed

Forum Junkie
Dec 24, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
So many things can determine skill in today's generation of FPS. IMO the only thing that determines a player's TRUE SKILL, is how well he can MOVE AROUND the map and his reaction time, instead of sitting in a corner or watching a doorway entrance waiting for someone to make the first move. People that literally sit in one spot untill they see someone are destroying the whole concept of competitive multiplayer.

If you can run around the map and take out the enemies in an original fashion, instead of the redundant kill-cams we have all seen for over 3 yrs now, then you have TRUE SKILL IMO.