Welcome to Xiled Gaming
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

WHAT CAN BE DONE TO COMBAT LAG DEATH?

XGC Combat Kid

Forum Nub
Apr 20, 2008
Central Louisiana
I run a 6 megabite per second hard wired DSL connection with no router and experience lag death that really degrades the COD4 online experience. I have done line tests and speed test with my ISP and everything is fine. Anyone out there have any suggestions or tips that may help all of us out here that are experiencing these problems on XBox Live? I know I am a skilled first person shooter gamer and feel like I let my clan down when playing matches with them and would like to be able to contribute more to the team. I would very mutch appreciate any help from my fellow XGC family members.

Chandler

Carpel Tunnel
Nov 3, 2006
High as a satellite!
www.xiledgaming.com
Well, keep in mind that Internet providers like to fool you by throwing that big 6 Mbps download speed at you, when most people don't realize that 6 Mbps only translates into a mere 750 KB/s. There is a huge difference between MB and Mb, where MB stands for Megabyte, and Mb stands for Megabit. There are 8 bits in a byte. When it comes to Internet gaming, your ability to kill others really has nothing to do with your download speed, but relies solely on your upload speed. By searching your ISP, I found that you use DSL from Bell South, and your 6 Mbps plan also includes a mere 512 Kbps upload speed. That translates into 64 KB/s, which is only slightly better than dial-up, lol. All technical jargon aside, when you kill someone (or attempt to), that data has to be uploaded to the service. If you have a very slow upload speed, that data can't be sent quickly enough for the kill to appear on your screen, or anyone else's. Games that take place on Xbox LIVE rely on this data to determine who dies and who lives. For instance, if you and an enemy both started to shoot each other at the exact same time, if your enemy's data gets sent to the service much faster, he will always win because the service registered him as shooting at you, before it registered you as shooting at him. I hope this can be of some help to you.

XGC BEASTMAN XS

INACTIVE LEADER
XG CONTRIBUTER
Apr 5, 2008
Sarasota, FL.
I have dsl from verizon and usually i have no problems even with several computers in my network on the internet at the same time as i'm playing COD4. sometimes i have a slugish connection but don't get affected on my game.

alot of time the cause is the hosts connection and not nececarily your connection. if the hosts connection is lagging then they will have an advantage usually. also, i've found sometime when you get connected to foriegn servers you suffer lag also, i;m not sure why that is, but I know when ever we get dropped into a game with alot of people from Europe, our connections are always slow, and that is a mixture of guys playing on both dsl and cable connections from the WARLORDS.
check out the setting also for your xbox/modem/router to make sure they are configured properly, is it's not it could account for some of your problems.
Chandler has an excellent tutorial on setting up your xbox and other equipment, http://www.xiledgaming.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42099