Welcome to Xiled Gaming
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

UH-OH SPAGHETTIOS

matticus24

Forum Veteran
Aug 22, 2010
XBOX TO INCREASE GOLD MEMBERSHIP BY $10 ($60 a year)

Love playing your Xbox 360 games online? Join the crew...and please have your credit card handy, because Microsoft would like to have a word with it.

Specifically, the word "more."
Xbox Live

On Monday, the company announced plans to raise the price of the Xbox Live Gold membership, making it the online network's first fee hike in its eight-year history. Beginning November 1, gamers in the U.S., Canada, Mexico and the U.K. will have to fork over at least $10 extra per year to enjoy the premium service, which is required for playing games with (or against) pals online.

In the U.S., the annual subscription plan -- once $49.99, soon to be $59.99 -- will remain far and way the most economical. The monthly plan will see a $2 bump ($9.99/month, or $120/year), while the three-month plan will jump $5 ($24.99/month, or $100/year).

Why the sudden hike? To Xbox Live spokesman Major Nelson, someone has to pay for all the stuff they keep adding to the network, right?

"Since launching Xbox LIVE in 2002 we have continually added more content and entertainment experiences for our members, while keeping the price the same," he said. "We’re confident that when the new pricing takes effect, an Xbox LIVE Gold membership will continue to offer the best value in the industry."

Well, that's one way to look at it. Another way to look at it is that Microsoft remains the only one of the big three console makers to charge a fee for online play. While Sony's recently-released "Playstation Plus" upgrade gives gamers access to premium content, playing games online is still entirely free for all users. And though the Wii has lagged behind in the online gaming field, the relatively few games that support online play don't cost players extra.

But with blockbuster multiplayer games like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 selling like hotcakes on the 360, Microsoft hasn't had a hard time convincing users to pay up. According to Bloomberg, a good 25 million Xbox 360 owners went Gold in the last fiscal year, netting the company about $600 million in fees alone and accounting for roughly half of Microsoft's estimated $1.2 billion in revenue via the online service. With the Xbox 360 topping charts in July and surefire seller Halo: Reach arriving September 14th, the company might need to buy a bigger wallet.

It's not all doom and gloom for 360 gamers, however. In a half-hearted attempt to make amends for the rate increase, Microsoft is letting current U.S. Xbox Live Gold members lock in one more year of membership for $39.99, a $20 premium over the coming price. Not bad, but an even thriftier move is to snap up a few discounted pre-paid cards at online retailers like Amazon. Redeem one now, then save one for next year to renew at the discounted price again. Sneaky...and sure to vanish quickly, so hop to it.

KoG Sassy Cat

Forum Junkie
Apr 17, 2009
Henderson, NV
Well,
Business Is A Tricky Thing. When A Company Makes A Franchise That Has Been Successful For a Long Period Of Time And Affecting A Large Amount Of Consumers They Will Start To Manipulate Their Customers. Sadly, Even With The Price Raise Most People Wont Care Because Of The sad Addiction To Video games Now A Days In Our Society Now. I Personally Disagree With The Manipulation Of Customers But Even If Microsoft Were To Charge $100 A year Most Will Still Buy, And Most Likely Even If Microsoft Does Lose Some Members They Will Still Be Making Profit.

I Personally Lucked Out Because My Account Is Free For Some reason. i dont Know How It Happened But Out Of No Where I Didnt Have To Pay Anymore lol =D

XGC Traitor XC

The Queen's CoD Player
COMMUNITY LEADER
XG Addict
XG CONTRIBUTER
XILED ELITES
X-TEAM
XGC WOLF PACK XK
Tournament Admin
Jul 15, 2010
Oceanside, CA
I don't consider this a bad thing. Or at least, I understand why they're doing it. It will still only cost the same as one standard retail Xbox game, and because most Xbox games are tailored to the multiplayer community anyway, I don't see it as a waste of an extra ten dollars.

That said, I hope they don't go the way of MW2's DLC prices. If they change it again to something any higher than $65-70, though, I'll be a tough sell on why I shouldn't switch to a different console.

XGC CookeMnster

XG CONTRIBUTER
Aug 19, 2010
Wilmington, NC
I agree with Traitomator, the price isn't really that ridiculous when you think of what you pay for a game and then the DLC that goes along with it. (60 for the game and 10-12 bucks for each DLC) I hate to see the price go up. Maybe time to use some cash and get some walmart 1-year memberships for $40 and just have the account good for sometime lol

randompandora

Forum Star
Oct 6, 2010
I gotta disagree with you there, if Kinect is the reason for the increase (which Microsoft hinted is) then make Kinect users pay more, frankly I'm not eight years old, so none of the announced games look like any fun to me, and I don't have a 6x6 space in my bedroom to use an kinect (plus I'm more than 6 ft tall so don't know if that has to be cubic, will I even be able to use kinect at all?) I am outraged, but as is stated they got my Multiplayer Pieces in a vice if you catch my meaning. I'm not gonna be able to go without but find this to be a grieveous greed play, and insult to injury since I just renewed for $1, thinking I lucked out to find a storm on the horizon.

Last edited:

randompandora

Forum Star
Oct 6, 2010
wait you guys think that its NOT rediculous that we have to pay through the nose for the games and the dlc to begin with and now the only online console gaming network that charges to begin with is uping the price?? It should be like 15 bucks a year. As much as the RROD, mics, controllers, batteries, cables, harddrives, wireless of previously mentioned add in after market spending and they have the gall to demand more, and you're okay with that?? I guess I would be if I wasn't so poor but now I have to start making sacrifices to keep up with my leisure pursuits.