Welcome to Xiled Gaming
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

[SQUADS]OR [NO SQUADS]?

XGC Vader

Forum Star
Dec 11, 2006
Wisconsin
What would work better? having a typical clan of Quazi-Active members all oranziged as a single entity going to 1 or 2 weekly held practices. OR have the clan divided into squads and have the captains "Micro" the clan members doing individual private practices. YOU DECIDE!:D

TheRottweiler7

Forum Star
Dec 9, 2006
i knwo im not a general or anything but oo well, im a captin in kurrupt and we have squads and i personally like them cause as a captin i like the feel of being a leader of my squad, and i could promote people in my squad and everything. thats just my oppinion.

Rott

XGC-ArticAngel

Forum Nerd
Dec 12, 2006
Idaho
YES AND NO

yes and no

i feel if you have the right captains in charge then squads are a good idea. but if not then stay away from them! squads require a solid leader, without that they will crumble and buckle upon themselves. Right now in rampage we are rebuilding and taking things slowly. we have squads yes, but as of now, they are not definent. Also squads are good for a certain group of people but maybe not for some. its based on the situation and quality of captains you have!

XGC Zealot XL

Forum Star
Dec 4, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I have been General of clans with and without squads.
Squad based clans to me, seem to work the best.
But only under one condition.
That condition is, that you have 100% dedicated Squad Leaders.
Because if your squad leaders aren't willing to put the effort forth to run a squad properly, you are going to have hell in your clan.

BuNiTe

XG CONTRIBUTER
Dec 10, 2006
The Murda Mitten
i agree with zealot, i mean i have 2 clans and both of them have sqads in it. But one time one of our captains like gave up or something and everything in that squad was kind of messed up but now everything is cool now but yea just make sure your sure of what you do. chea

TUCKER

Forum Veteran
Dec 11, 2006
Lubbock, Texas
good point zealot...i've never had a squad based clan and i still think its for the more serious people...we're a pretty laid back clan and we're all friends and we help each other get better if it is needed but i think that squads split up a clan...we are all part of unr3al xk...not blue squad of unr3al xk...now i think it would be a good idea especially if we got clan match back and people were serious about it...because not only do you have to have serious leaders...you have to have serious members in the squad for it to work well...so i think maybe a semi squad...semi casual clan would be best...if these guys/girls want to be a "team" or squad together let them be and make sure someones in charge...but i know that not everybody's the biggest fan of that much organization on a videogame so let them be

XGC Vader

Forum Star
Dec 11, 2006
Wisconsin
I'm torn on the subject. Personally i perfer 1 major entity. let me explain why. in Vicarious i do things we call Programs. such as a Points system. for everyday a member is on (halo) i give them a point. or whenever they show up for other programs they get a point. and whoever has the most points gets a prize (i purchased several thousand xbox lives points on cards to give away). also we run a Drivers Liscense program. where i have a captain lay out a course on each level. he grades then pass or fail, so we have good drivers for BTB. but you get the idea. what i do is have my captains RUN these programs for the whole clan to participate. and they also chose the NEW programs for each month. also i feel that running the clan as 1 brings people closer together as far as friends go. and i feel it earns you respect in a better way then squads do... but i suppose if the captians are good then squads could work..

XGC MooCow

Banned
Dec 10, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
www.myspace.com
in XGC FRONTLIN3, we do have squads, small, but they are there. currently we have 2 clan meetings a week held where the entire clan is supposed to show up and one squad practice a week for the seperate squads. the squads are also divided up by matchmaking type, we have gold (slayer) squad, blue (sniper) squad, and green (skirmish) squad. i find this to work because that way the clan is together, yet the players that prefer a type of matchmaking have a squad they can practice with. another thing we allow is members of other squads to join in on the other squad's practices. the idea seems to work.

XGC philsim7

Forum Veteran
Dec 10, 2006
Philadelphia
Squads are good if they have good captains. Im not a General but i think that squads can be a good idea IF you do it properly. We used to have 7 squads for 100 people but that failed because they all ended up having like 6active members except for red and green squad. After four of our captains quit in the same week our general or section leader decided that we should take the squads and turn it into 3 big squads and have 2 captains for each. That way you usually have a captain on and the squads run nicely. Only problem is if you have a squad with 2 inactive captains you have 2 squads with 30 members and one with 7 inactive people

XGC SHARP

Forum Junkie
Dec 9, 2006
California
I think it is a good idea because it prepares every captain to be a good general. It gives them enough responsibility and the general is still there to help out (or at least should be). It seems like the perfect course for a captain to take.

zonker8u

Forum Noob
Dec 10, 2006
I love squads. Being in the military, I'm used to them. What squads do is they take some of the responsibility off of the shoulders of the General. Squads are used for organizational sakes. Would you want to be a General that has to worry about all 100 of your clan members, or worry about 10 Captains? The term "micromanagement" is a horrible term. I deal with it everyday. You don't need to have it in a game. The General should be there for only a couple of reasons: To inform the clan on new matters, to make decisions that affect the clan as a whole, to promote Captains, and to prepare the Captains on becoming a General themselves. I try to instill a sense of "militaryish" in our clan. A chain of command is used. Not just from Captain to General, Section Leader, etc, but from Private to Sergeant to Lieutenant. It splits up the responsibility throughout the whole clan and prepares all members for promotion to the next rank. The CoC works. Also, if you have squads it will make people feel more involved in the clan.

XGC Vader

Forum Star
Dec 11, 2006
Wisconsin
the problem with that of course if that.. no one really has to deal with 100 people ALL at the same time. its not exactly difficult to micromanage 13-33 people who are online at 1 particular time.