Welcome to Xiled Gaming
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

LATENIGHT TALKSHOW DRAMA

SYN BLACK XS

XG CONTRIBUTER
May 31, 2009
Seattle
Its been happening for the last week now, so I'm guessing most of you know the general situation. months back, Jay Leno says he's going to retire, eventually reniging upon that and working with the NBC Leadership to, in effect, push Conan out of his current time-slot.

Not many people are happy about the way everythings been going. Whats weird is that now, other late-night talkshows are getting involved.

Jimmy Kimmel, has been showing support for Conan the past week on his own show, and during a very rare instance last night, appeared on Jay Leno's show for a video-interview during the 10 @ 10 section.

Hilarity ensues. Check it out!!!!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axwO6BkCtIo"]YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.[/ame]

edicius13HAHA

Forum Junkie
Nov 20, 2009
new Mexico
jimmy kimmel is awesome, and if jay leno and conan obrien were on tv at the same time i would watch conan obrien, seriously conan is awesome... so is andy rickter -glad he's associated with conans talk show again

p.s. who hasnt had a *** experience with a monkey?

XGC Coleslaw XI

Council Member
XG CONTRIBUTER
X-TEAM
XGC KINGS
Jan 1, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
www.xiledgaming.com
conan appeals to a niche audience... i think leno is easier to watch just one episode every once in a while, but to understand conan's humor, you have to keep up with the show... thus making leno appeal to the general public more... but i wish they'd quit talking about conan's bad ratings, because leno's ratings were terrible when taking over for carson... it's takes people some time to warm up to a new late night guy

SYN BLACK XS

XG CONTRIBUTER
May 31, 2009
Seattle
Ya, the whole ratings arguement didnt make much sense...

To each his/her own, ya know. I'm worried about Conan's options if NBC decides to move ahead with removing him from the time-slot/etc. I guess FOX offered him a show, but even if they began on that today, it wouldnt start airing until September

Best prank ever

Last edited:

edicius13HAHA

Forum Junkie
Nov 20, 2009
new Mexico
i wouldnt worry about conan i'm sure he has plenty of options, which is why he released a statement saying that he doesnt want to leave the tonight show but he is not going to join a show that is pushed back to the 1200 time slot, following leno. he was one of the writers for snl and the simpsons which he helped make into americana icons, with that said where ever he goes-ratings will follow (imo he has showed the ability to write succesful comedy, and him having establishing his name is just icing on the cake)

and it's not exactly that his comedy is niche, its just he has a large following of college kids, stoners and nerds, mostly because he has been on at such a late night those are mostly the ppl watching, hell that is adult swims directly targeted audience because of the time slot (they have confirmed this in interviews), so since that is the audience the marketing ppl's statistics say watches the show at that time, they do skits they think that audience would appeal to(ex. pimp bot, or the say-no-to-drugs bong)

so he has a following already from that kind of humor, but now that his time slot and rules concerning mature content has changed his comedy is slightly different, and now his audience is expected to be a wider variety of ppl. if you watched his show lately his comedy adheres to that wider audience and isnt 'niche' at all, he simply has a following. what he is upset about is that he has not had time to establish himself with all these changes, like showing his appeal to a wider audience, i'd be pissed to if i was him... he's been working a long time for this opportunity and i think deserves it, and even now shows class when dealing with his hurdles

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/12/conan-obrien-statement-i_n_420521.html

oh and jimmy kimmel is hilarious too

leno's overated, and here's a picture of some of his work before the tonight show
mcdonalds-007.jpg_2D00_500x400.jpg

XGC Coleslaw XI

Council Member
XG CONTRIBUTER
X-TEAM
XGC KINGS
Jan 1, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
www.xiledgaming.com
i'm not a huge leno fan either... i like his jaywalking and headlines and that's about it... and i agree that NBC is def giving conan the shaft! i still just think that conan needs to work on some things to appeal to that wider audience, but he stuff is really funny if you understand it... leno is just the easiest thing for NBC to do... i don't remember did conan ditch max weinberg? if he didn't he needs to... everything associated with springstein needs to retire

edicius13HAHA

Forum Junkie
Nov 20, 2009
new Mexico
what do you mean if you understand it? i'm confused give an example of a hard to understand joke conan uses that isnt common knowledge or current events... lol i just cant think of one

oh and the joke about springstein is funny, but i think weinburg, the max weinburg 7 and andy are with conan

SYN BLACK XS

XG CONTRIBUTER
May 31, 2009
Seattle
Uh....k

January 21, 2010 - The Wrap broke the news late last night that a deal has finally been signed, ending the relationship between Conan O'Brien and NBC. An NBC spokesperson states that an official announcement will be coming today, giving Conan and NBC time to promote tomorrow's (Friday, Jan. 22) Tonight Show as Conan's last.

The deal is estimated to be worth more than $40 million, with Conan personally receiving about $30 million. A major sticking point for the negotiations has been NBC's severance package for the Tonight Show staffers; it's reported that O'Brien will divert some of his settlement into a fund for exiting staffers.

People close to the deal report that NBC will indeed own the rights to all of the bits and characters that Conan's created at Late Night & Tonight Show for the past 17 years, such as Masturbating Bear and In the Year 3000.

The terms of the deal reportedly state that Conan will be free to go back on television September 1; FOX has reportedly expressed interest.

Update: MSNBC reports that O'Brien's deal actually was for $45 million total. The network offically spoke about the matter on The Today Show this morning. Of that amount, $33 Million is going to O'Brien himself, while the rest is for his staff.

A spokesman for O'Brien said he would be unavailable for comment, notes MSNBC. Obviously there will be quite a lot of attention paid to whoever gets the first interview with O'Brien about this entire situation – We're still crossing our fingers that he goes on Letterman soon! However, The Wrap notes, "O'Brien has agreed to a short period of time in which he can't give any media interviews or slam NBC publicly. NBC has also agreed to a media blackout."

- NBCThe Wrap says that while it is true that NBC will retain ownership of characters and bits O'Brien created while working for them, it is not true that O'Brien won't be able make jokes about NBC down the line -- or will have to pay penalties if he does, should he start a competing talk show.

The Jay Leno Show will remain on the air until February 12th, when the Winter Olympics begin on NBC. When the Olympics end, Leno is expected to return as host of The Tonight Show.

Update 2: NBC has sent out a press release confirming Jay Leno is returning as the host of The Tonight Show, beginning March 1st. The press release makes no mention of Conan O'Brien.

Jeff Gaspin, Chairman, NBC Universal Television Entertainment, says, "We're pleased that Jay is returning to host the franchise that he helmed brilliantly and successfully for many years. He is an enormous talent, a consummate professional and one of the hardest-working performers on television."

For a rundown of Conan's final guests for Thursday and Friday, check out our story from yesterday. You can also listen to IGN TV's latest Channel Surfing podcast for our thoughts on the situation

edicius13HAHA

Forum Junkie
Nov 20, 2009
new Mexico
hmmm... ok

everythig in this previous post is also streamed on video in the dashboard if you go to the msnbc clips, they have about 3 of them that say the same thing lol

oh and this week of conan has been one of his best weeks ever, i wonder how his last two shows are going to be (tonight and tomorrow/jan 21-22).

/boo @ jay leno

edicius13HAHA

Forum Junkie
Nov 20, 2009
new Mexico
really? i believe leno lost a conciderable amount of viewers after not stepping down for conan. at the golden gloden awards there were alot of celebrities that said they will no longer guest appear on his show and lost respect for him for not stepping down. one of the videos confirming both the things i just said are on your xbox dashboard. =)

also it's pretty awesome conan made sure his entire staff was taken care of with this deal, he gave them over $10 million.

here's a video showing how awesome conan is

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FihEzC6GkHg&feature=related"]YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.[/ame]

p.s. john stewert and stephen colbert are awesome too

Last edited:

Inked Ivy

Carpel Tunnel
Oct 7, 2009
Auckland, Aotearoa
It appears he hates my country, i cant access these vids
"This video contains content from Jimmy Kimmel Live, who has decided to block it in your country"
strange, youtube, very strange........