Welcome to Xiled Gaming
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

HOW TO STYLE TEXT IN FORUMS - FORUM CODING 101 - VERY EASY

SYN Kiwi

Forum Veteran
Feb 2, 2016
Canada
The best way that you can begin to think of any coding is like a story. There is a beginning (the start of the code), the middle (what you want coded), and the end (to cancel/end the code). Sometimes the story is short (around one or two words), and sometimes it's a novel (around entire paragraphs or an entire post).

For the purpose of this thread, I'll be showing the coding with "(" & ")", not the "[" & "]" that's required on this site so that the codes show up.

A short story in coding looks like this
(b) Once upon a time.. (/b)
Once upon a time..

The beginning of the story begins with the start of the code (b) This is telling the website what to do. This is telling the website that we want bold text.

The middle of the story is "Once upon a time..". This is what you want to show up bold. This is telling the website to make this section bold.

The end of the story ends with the end of the code (/b) Notice that there is a "/" in the code. This cancels the original code. It tells the website to stop making things bold.

The same concept applies to when you are wanting to style an entire paragraph. You only need one beginning, one middle and one end.

For an example, so that I can demonstrate the correct way to code on these forums I'll post a FAKE squad list.

We want the entire squad list to be centered. How many center codes do we need? 1.
We want the entire squad list to be size 5. How many size codes do we need? 1.
We want titles and names to be different colors. How many color codes do we need? One code, for each color change.

(center)(size=5) <- the beginning of the code/story
(COLOR="#006400") GENERAL (/COLOR)
^ the beginning ^the middle ^ the end
(COLOR="#000000") XGC ImaCoder (/COLOR)
(COLOR="#006400") CAPTAIN (/COLOR)
(COLOR="#000000") XGC Imateachucoding (/COLOR)
(COLOR="#006400") LIEUTENANT (/COLOR)
(COLOR="#000000") XGC Isntcodingeasy (/COLOR)
(COLOR="#006400") SERGEANT (/COLOR)
(COLOR="#000000") XGC Imasergeant1
XGC Imasergeant 2
XGC Imasergeant 3(/COLOR)
^ Note how there are multiple lines that we want the same color. You do not need a new color code for each name, just wrap it around the group.
(COLOR="#006400") PRIVATE (/COLOR)
(COLOR="#000000") XGC Imapwnyouatcoding
XGC Codingisablast (/COLOR)
(/size=5) (/center) <- the end of the code/story.

I hope this helps explain to you guys how to code on the forums correctly. The same works with images (img) url (/img) and various other codes!

Questions? Comments? Need Help? Post!

Last edited: