Welcome to Xiled Gaming
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

XBOX LIVE CHAT PAD

FoRBaGR

XG CONTRIBUTER
Jan 31, 2010
Chicago, IL (suburbs)
I don't know how many people have invested in this little device, but it is so worth purchasing if you own an XBox 360. Period. Not only does it perform the same function as a QWERTY pad on a mobile phone or a plug in keyboard, so you can use text to communicate with LIVE's messaging system, but you can run your MSN Messenger (formerly known as Windows Live Messaging) while you are playing your game. What's great about it is that it doesn't force you to go to an XBox guide button screen that blocks your whole screen and can interfere with your game because you are putzing around trying to get the message done. There's a button on it that toggles the window directly into your screen in the corner while you are playing. Handy for when you are in the middle of a COD match and someone is messaging you, so you don't have to stop what you are doing, hide somewhere, then do your business with a voice message over the box. Simple, fast, effective and quite honestly, something everyone should have and use all the time.

Somehow I wish more people would use it - I know the reaction I have gotten from telling people is that they think it's neat and maybe they think it seems necessary, but it can totally change the way you use LIVE and your interactions with others. And all for under $30 new or go buy a used one at your local GameStop or even a cheaper one on some place like Amazon or e-bay.

Game on.
XGC FoRBaGR

JimmyKuddo

Carpel Tunnel
Jan 31, 2008
Everywhere & Nowhere
Actually, it`s pretty useful for almost all text communication, except maybe Phantasy star online, where it`s incompatible and need a usb keyboard instead.

Got microsoft points or subscription code? Clickity click click click, your done.

If you set up it`s messenger it becomes a powerful communicative tool, just as forbagger said.

KoG Remix

Forum Star
Apr 13, 2009
Minnesota
I used it for a little while and then it just became useless because, well we have a headset. And it just seemed like more money and a useless addon so I sold it. But now if I ever need to do a quick msg I use the usb keyboard. Works the same way.

JimmyKuddo

Carpel Tunnel
Jan 31, 2008
Everywhere & Nowhere
I`ll argue a few more points on chat pad vs. keyboards vs. Comando( no typing instrument)

The chat pad is back lit so you can text in most any light condition, not something your average keyboard does.

Chat pads are compatible with MSN messenger, and so are most keyboards.

You can send small messages to any connected player with their MSN messenger set up that will appear on their screen.

If it`s a larger message, it won`t appear but it will inform the player that a message has been sent.

To look at the log of all the messages sent and received, you just press a button on the messenger to bring it up.

The main advantage of MSN messenger is that it doesn`t disrupt your game controls and screen blockage is kept to a minimum.

Or you can just find a safe place in game and send them a quick text message as fast as your brain can make your thumbs orchestrate a cohesive message.

This leaves you vulnerable for 30 seconds, give or take a few, but at least you can do it faster with the chat pad than without.

Keyboards can sometimes be clutter-some or uncomfortable to keep nearby like on your lap.

The transition time game pad to texting on average is probably slightly greater with a keyboard than a chat pad.

I think that`s it.

Last edited:

XGC Nighthawk1

Forum Junkie
Sep 14, 2009
ohio
hmm i will have to look in to the chat pad cause wile are computer was being fixed i took the keyboard wireless of course. It made it so much easyer to send messages but now are computers fixed so there went my keyboard.

The Chosen One

Get A Life!
Aug 9, 2010
Anywhere but France.
Chat lad is very fidely imo, not worth it when you can buy a game for that price.

Also I hate it when people stop playing in the middle of a game and lose kills cause their messeging. Why can't they jus wait till the end of the game?

JimmyKuddo

Carpel Tunnel
Jan 31, 2008
Everywhere & Nowhere
But if you`re winning or losing so badly it doesn`t really matter then.

Also, if you`re there for 30 seconds, thats thirty seconds you aren`t getting killed (teamslayer) or you might be able to get back in the game and stop the objective or spawn teammates nearer to said objective.

Alot of people aren`t patient and never tell you what there doing or where their going, but those that do have an advantage when the others react and plan accordingly.

If someone were to guard your general area whilst you send a message for example, you could jump back into the game and dispatch the potentially weakened opponents.

If you want to hate something, hate quietness and everyone talking at once.

The Chosen One

Get A Life!
Aug 9, 2010
Anywhere but France.
I can not see how texting during a game on live can be seen as an advantage. Basically your leaving your team a man down, and lower the chancer to team shoot. Its not an advantage in any way.

I never messege people, or accept party/game invites in the middle of a game. Would rather have a person on my team thats quiet instead of one thats stops to message.

Yea and i never quit, regardless of the score.

JimmyKuddo

Carpel Tunnel
Jan 31, 2008
Everywhere & Nowhere
So being patient and ambushing an opponent on your terms is not an advantage?

You probably think that any second not being used to try to kill your opponent is a big disadvantage when in reality it`s just a simple luck roll and can go either way.

At a high level of play, they could potentially pin your area down in the uncommon but not rare instance you play semi-coordinated teams. Yet still you could break the pin with a few tactics when you return.

Also, not all maps offer you the best cover for hiding, true, but if you`re guarded, simply out of sight, out of mind, or both you`re likely to get back into the action before they find you idle.

I quit occasional, usually when lag spikes up or I`m alone with randoms without mics and someone or group sends me an invite to a matchmaking I`m in the mood for, whether it`s Team SWAT or Social Slayer. If there is people with me however I let them decide if we want to bail together, stay together, or the ever Rare "I`ve got these punks, send me an invite when you guys are through".

The game, while important, is less important than having fun with or without friends, thus if it lags bad enough, I`ll make sure everyone agrees to leave the game, and I`m usually the last one out.

Texting during a game is not an advantage all by itself. It`s what you do before and after you text that gives either advantage or disadvantage. Leaving your team a gun down can be an slight advantage or a slight disadvantage depending on what you tell your teammates to do, and the situation on the field. Certainly, running out right in the path of enemies who cut you down is a disadvantage, whereas waiting for the enemy, and bouncing a grenade where they are gonna be will give the advantage to you.

I love my chat pad and can't stand to message without it. I prefer to get messages in text form as they are quick to read when you are talking with someone and you can see them when you login to xbox.com. The chat pad also comes in handy if you spam out a lot of messages to your clan.

I know some mentioned they rather buy a game instead of the chat pad, but I would argue the time you will save when sending text messages will allow you to play more games. It's not for everyone but has really helped me out, I just wish they had one in black to match my controllers.