Welcome to Xiled Gaming
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

CONTROLLER MODIFICATIONS

XGC WOLFMAN

XG Addict
XG CONTRIBUTER
Dec 28, 2007
Winter Park, FL
Good points have been made for both sides, but we still haven't heard anything from an XC or XI.

The website I posted a link to at the beginning of this thread states that the extended control sticks are designed to give you more control and allow you to increase your sensitivity without sacrificing your ability to aim.

Anyone who plays FPS games, particularly Call of Duty, knows how a higher look sensitivity can affect your entire gameplay. A person with high sensitivity will do well in close-range run 'n' gun fights but will suffer in long-range sniper battles. The opposite is true for someone with a low sensitivity. This basic truth defines how we play the game, particularly in Hardcore mode where you often only get one shot.

These Kontrol Freeks give a player the ability to break from that system, making it possible to maintain his or her aim and still be able to spin around and react quickly to different situations. So as we continue this conversation, everyone on both sides needs to understand that these additions do offer an advantage over most other players. They're not just customizations to affect how the controller looks on the outside.

How much of an advantage is difficult to say, as it may very well depend on the person using them. The make-or-break point for this discussion might be the fact that MLG allows these additions and they are technically legal in gaming tournaments.

XGC ArchKing

XG CONTRIBUTER
Jun 21, 2011
Orlando, FL
So far I’ve not seen anything that categorizes these extended thumbsticks as a mod. From what you are saying Wolfman and from what I’ve read about them, they allow you to increase the sensitivity of the controller that is inhibited by the sensitivity of the game being played. In other words, if a game such as Call of Duty has a max sensitivity of 10, you cannot go any higher because the game does not permit you even though the controllers themselves can go a bit further. The same as turtle beach headsets. The headsets only amplify the sound of the game that is already there so it cannot be considered cheating. Sure you have a certain advantage over players who do not own one, but you do not have an unfair advantage, and that I believe is what is important. Now if these extended thumbsticks allowed you to turn a corner at above super human speed and headshot the whole team then this topic wouldn’t exist. It does not do that. It gives the person using it an advantage but not an unfair one.

XGC Cipher

Forum Nerd
Nov 7, 2011
we can fight this out all day and i'll still hold my stance to it but it all boils down to what the higher-up see it as

xxThanatosx89

XG CONTRIBUTER
May 31, 2011
In the woods
I think aimbot chams telekill is cheating
Modding your controller shouldn't matter I had a controller with extended thumb sticks and rapid fire but it did nothing to my game play except make me play worse hence me no longer using it

As far as the thumb sticks I don't see how that would help and if the community decides that is modding how are they going to check if 60,000+ members have them or not????

XGC CAMARO

XG CONTRIBUTER
Sep 5, 2011
Texas
The same as turtle beach headsets. The headsets only amplify the sound of the game that is already there so it cannot be considered cheating. Sure you have a certain advantage over players who do not own one, but you do not have an unfair advantage, and that I believe is what is important..

I like this point, as i have XP500 with customized presets and I can hear people who have Dead Silent on at times (depending how there moving) its not an "unfair" advantage, but yes it is an advantage, which is why i had to pay $260 for them instead of the regular users $20 one-ear mic

XGC Fuffalo

Banned
Feb 26, 2007
SLC Utah
I know it may not be my place, but as a former XG XD I may be able to offer a valuable opinion. My opinion is this. If you have to question if something is against the honor code, 99.9% of the time the answer to that question is yes, it is against the honor code. This case in indeed tricky, but in my opinion it is no different than any other case. It is gaining an unfair advantage as per defined in the honor code. This was something I had to personally enforce in Clan Compete when I was the League Operations Admin, and it changed the outcome of a tournament. The difference in gameplay KF's make is monumental towards your gameplay. It is banned on most competitive gaming websites and I can't imaging it being permitted in the honor code.

G

If it is available for purchase through a commercial retailer, how can it be considered a mod? There may be an advantage, but it certainly is not unfair. They are offered to the general public just like turtle beaches and tritons. Those who choose to not purchase them choose to not gain that advantage. Therefore, I believe they are fair game for those who purchase them.

The Chosen One

Get A Life!
Aug 9, 2010
Anywhere but France.
If it is available for purchase through a commercial retailer, how can it be considered a mod? There may be an advantage, but it certainly is not unfair. They are offered to the general public just like turtle beaches and tritons. Those who choose to not purchase them choose to not gain that advantage. Therefore, I believe they are fair game for those who purchase them.

You do realise that rapid fire controllers come into that category too don't you?

G

You do realise that rapid fire controllers come into that category too don't you?

Even through the likes of Wal-mart, Target, Best Buy, etc? I have only seen people reach out through xbox or ebay sellng them. Never in stores. If you can show me where you can buy a rapid fire mod at wal-mart, I'd like to see that.

XGC Fuffalo

Banned
Feb 26, 2007
SLC Utah
Some retailers that are known to carry items like this would be best buy, wal mart, gamestop and more. Just because you can buy something at a retail store, doesn't make it NOT against the honor code.

The more defined version of my opinion is this. Every xbox 360 comes with 1 standard microsoft controller. These controllers give a defined standard to all gamers. By adding a device to a controller, you have given yourself an edge above the rest of the gamers. This would direct you to the honor code "gain an unfair advantage". KF's could in fact be considered "modding" in the sense that by adding them to the controller, you have modified the controller itself. Although I am borderline on this portion, it COULD still refer me to "modding" in the honor code.

My question to everyone is this. Is it worth it? By putting small modifications to your controller to slightly improve performance, is it worth putting you personal integrity, and the honor code into question? Personally I want to get better at video games video games the way microsoft intended. With there standard piece of crap controllers.

G

ok, but look at it like this, there are different variations of controllers that can be used. Are those to be considered modding? Rather than just buying the entire controller, these KFs are available. There definitely needs to be some clarification about this topic!

XGC Fuffalo

Banned
Feb 26, 2007
SLC Utah
There are plenty of third party controllers. They are a near exact replica of the microsoft controller. No additions, no mods, and what not.

Besides- You didn't answer my question. Is it worth it?

G

Well, first we need to define what counts as a modification. Obviously rapid fire trigger, wall hacks, etc. BUt what about things you can buy at a local store such as those joysticks things. Do I think those are modding? No. Why? Because you are ADDING to the controller. To the outside of it. Correct me if I am wrong, but dont you have to install a rapid fire mod to the controller? That to me is the cheating/modding part of the game. So no, its not worth it for that, but I would consider putting the joystick additions on.

The Chosen One

Get A Life!
Aug 9, 2010
Anywhere but France.
Well, first we need to define what counts as a modification. Obviously rapid fire trigger, wall hacks, etc. BUt what about things you can buy at a local store such as those joysticks things. Do I think those are modding? No. Why? Because you are ADDING to the controller. To the outside of it. Correct me if I am wrong, but dont you have to install a rapid fire mod to the controller? That to me is the cheating/modding part of the game. So no, its not worth it for that, but I would consider putting the joystick additions on.

Like I have already said you can buy a rapid fire controller in stores.

Also by the logic you are using I could create a lag switch as I can buy all the parts at local stores with ease and I wouldn't have to program anything.

XGC CAMARO

XG CONTRIBUTER
Sep 5, 2011
Texas
unless you buy it straight from walmart/bestbuy ect. its hard to find controllers that are not "modded" i bought a pink controller, just because i wanted one, likabaus, and i had to physicaly try to find one that was NOT modded. i can tell you, atleast 20% probobly of gamers, have a mod, so in your average lobby, 2 of them are using a mod. probobly about a 5% on lag switches, and the same with aim bots. these things are just too easy for people to do now, and get away with as well.

G

You can buy rapid fire? Really? As for a lag switch, yes you can buy all the basic parts, but with it you are changing the way the game is played to give yourself an advantage.