Welcome to Xiled Gaming
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

CONTROLLER MODIFICATIONS

XGC WOLFMAN

XG Addict
XG CONTRIBUTER
Dec 28, 2007
Winter Park, FL
I want to pose this question to every council member, but I don't want to go around spamming your forums, so I'm just gonna post it here and you can relay it to the others if you decide it's pertinent.

Modded controllers are not allowed within the Xiled Gaming Community, but there is a fairly new commercial product on the market right now that I would like to get clarification on.

Kontrol Freeks (http://www.kontrolfreek.com) are small thumbsticks that attach directly to any Xbox 360 or PS3 controller and make the standard thumbsticks longer. The end result is that the user gains more control over his/her movements, making it possible to aim with much more precision than normal.

fpsfreek.jpg

So my question is: Do Kontrol Freek additions violate the Honor Code as a modded controller?

If The Council has already answered this question, than I apologize for wasting your time. I looked around the forums but couldn't find a clear-cut answer.

XGC ArchKing

XG CONTRIBUTER
Jun 21, 2011
Orlando, FL
That’s a tough question. I don't think it should be classified a "modded" controller because the overall mechanics are still the same. The extra thumbsticks would be more of a cosmetic type thing so that should make it a custom controller, the same as if someone would paint their controller a different color. That’s just my opinion, whatever decision the council reaches I will respect. That’s a great question though Wolfman.

XGC 1 Actual

XG CONTRIBUTER
Dec 11, 2010
Northern Kentucky
Wolf, thanks for posting this question/ issue. I have had several members approach me over these "additions" to their controller as well as other items.
The definition of Mods/ Modification is: Noun 1. an act or instance of modifying. 2. the state of being modified; partial alteration. 3. a modified form; variety. 4. Biology . a change in a living organism acquired from its own activity or environment and not transmitted to its descendants.
5. limitation or qualification.

With the synonyms being Adapt, adaptation, alteration/ alter.

As defined these fall under the "mod" standard. However, how much unfair game play is achieved by this? Unfair that a member has better control? Or that a member achieves "shots, achievements, game play" easier/ better than others? And what is the cost of this?

I, personally, feel the honor codes need to be amended to define the "intention" of the rule. As to not promote "other ways that are not on the intention list", but as guidance to leaders and members to preserve the integrity of our honor code. Because, just how unfair is an extended thumb stick? I feel its not. But then again, we have to consider all games, not just our preferred games for the community.
Point of Clarification wolf? Do you want these to be accepted by our Council or do you want the honor code amended at some point to clarify what is still considered cheating/ unfair game play with mods.
The reason I ask is because we see new "ideas" arise daily that enhance game play for our members. These items, while sometimes advertized as cheating/ modding devices and are clearly not allowed, are also presented in a manner to achieve max normal game play.
This is definitely a clear and top issue that must be addressed soon. The addition of a alteration, extension should be defined by our honor code so its clear and we can update our members.
Good post!

XGC WOLFMAN

XG Addict
XG CONTRIBUTER
Dec 28, 2007
Winter Park, FL
I don't think that the honor code needs to be amended, I'm just looking for a clarification on the extent to which we can customize our controllers. The additions do provide an advantage over someone who does not have them, which violates the Honor Code.

In the past, controller modifications have had underground origins. Very few people were able to get those mods because they were difficult to find. Now these Kontrol Freeks, along with several other products, are being released as commercial products. Soon enough, you'll be able to go to any GameStop and pick them up for $10-15. I fear that our community will see a flood of these modifications and we need to notify everyone whether or not they're allowed here.

Last edited:

XGC Cipher

Forum Nerd
Nov 7, 2011
this is interesting because it is a mainstream purchasable item some call it modification others call it evolution, because it is available to everyone i believe it stops becoming a mod and starts becoming and accessory for the controller, look at it this way if i play a flight game and i can afford a the flight stick for the game that can be purchased at say best buy, and using it gives me an advantage over a regular controller that others are using does that mean am i modding? most would say no, then again others would. if we look at something that can be mainstream purchased we cant call it a mod because when you think about it you could call expensive headsets a mod since they certainly do give an advantage to people using them i think it comes down as to whether it is a fair or unfair advantage
this is just my weigh in from someone on the outside looking in though
and of course the little voice says if we allow/disallow this it sets a dangerous precedent about what is allowed or disallowed in the future

Last edited:
D

Deleted Spam Bot

I use these and it kind of gives you an advantage but not much just allows you to get the accuarcy and turn on other players a little better i dont really see this as a Modd. i see a modd as a wall hack, rapid fire, God mode, unlimited UAV, Etc.

XGC Cipher

Forum Nerd
Nov 7, 2011
^ while their is an advantage it is one that many see as a fair advantage just as turtle beaches headsets, HDTVs and high speed internet are all fair advantages

Inked Ivy

Carpel Tunnel
Oct 7, 2009
Auckland, Aotearoa
If we were to be that strict on modifications then shouldn't things like the Microsoft controller with the improved d-pad be considered?
Technically it gives players an advantage (especially in fighting games) yet it is commercially available and made by Microsoft themselves. It was mainly developed in response to gamers who wanted better functionality and were modding the d-pad themselves. What was once a considered a 'mod' is now mainstream. However not all players have the new controller (especially those of us with our original stock controller from when we purchased our consoles)...
Therefore, it is possible the thumbstick enhancers will soon be an official new addition to our controllers - then how we approach them?

This all brings up a greater question of where XG needs to draw the line. If we ban everything, it will soon be that our players are at a disadvantage to the rest of the gaming community.

(Please note my stance on the issue is primarily neutral, I'm just throwing some points out there for the leaders to consider)

XGC CAMARO

XG CONTRIBUTER
Sep 5, 2011
Texas
I feel by definition the honor code is refering to Software mods. As you are still using the controller as it is entended, and licensed to be used, the microsoft seal was not broke for this "addition" so personally I would deem this as useable.

for example, this is one of my controllers
IMG_0730.jpg

which doesnt affect how the contoller ITSELF works, just the appearance.

Apr 9, 2011
A, A
It is a mod so by the very definition it should not be allowed. They are designed to give an advantage.

Agreed I KNOW IM NOt in XG anymore but the honor code states anything to gain a unfair advantage. Buying something so you can aim quicker or better< is a unfair advantage in my eyes)

There for i say its a mod.

Reactions: Gus3300

XGC CAMARO

XG CONTRIBUTER
Sep 5, 2011
Texas
idk I still say fuzzy........ its like racing in a stock class in cars. 2 stock 2012 corvettes, is it unfair that one guy put in Royal Purple Oil and Stabilizer in his "stock" car?

XGC Reaper

Forum Veteran
Dec 16, 2008
Memphis
ease of use isnt really a unfair advantage

but then again,rapid fire controllers are also available for commercial purpose but they are not allowed

XGC CAMARO

XG CONTRIBUTER
Sep 5, 2011
Texas
honestly, a Controller "mod" is something that is detectable either by XBL or Game servers that has modified from the original function of the controller, as far as a physical addition/alteration, whos gonna know anyways? not that im promoting modding your controller, but "customizing" as far as I understand it is perfectly ok.