Welcome to Xiled Gaming
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

XGC DARTH [ON HOLD]

XGC Darth

XG CONTRIBUTER
Jul 26, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
1) GT and user name

XGC Darth​

2) What type of program are you using?

Adobe Photoshop, part of the CS5 package​

3) How much experience you have with your program and making sigs

I became certified in Adobe Photoshop (and Flash) when I was in high school. I've been using Photoshop for two years now, and have been making signatures for members for approximately 10 months. I have an XG Addict forum where I post the signatures that I've created, as well as a deviantart page where I upload them to.​

4) Would you be interested in transferring to XDC to be in a clan with other, like-minded members who also enjoy designing?

No I would not be interested in transferring because I am currently the General for XGC Genocide.​

Works that I have done:

My Current Signature:

darth_gen_by_atonsis-d6t3pnp.png

and

darth_girl_gen_by_atonsis-d6t3pp5.png

Signature for XGC Kirb Stomp:

xgc_kirb_stomp_by_atonsis-d6qrs8b.png

Signature for XGC Swifty XS:

xgc_swifty_xs_by_atonsis-d6t3out.png

And Banner for XGC Swifty XS's XS Forum:

xgc_swifty_xs_banner_by_atonsis-d6tio7z.jpg

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to apply and show off my work.

VenerealMonkey

XG CONTRIBUTER
Mar 10, 2012
Little Rock, AR
Welcome Darth, and thank you for applying to the design team! Over the next week or two, I will work with you on fine tuning your skills and helping to prepare you for the Design Team. I can't promise all smooth sailing, but bear with it and you will come out better and more knowledgable in the end. I use CS6 so I can help in some areas if you get snagged up.

I like some of the sigs you have already shown but can tell we will need to work some blending, C4D and text placement, and depth.

To start off, go to this link and create a design from each of the two images posted and we will go from there. Make sure to post your finished products, and all future sigs pertaining to your application, in this thread. Please remember not to exceed the 500x200px canvas size

http://www.xiledgaming.com/showthrea...11#post2880111

I look forward to working with you and can't wait to see what kind of designs you come up with!

VenerealMonkey

XG CONTRIBUTER
Mar 10, 2012
Little Rock, AR
It's an ok start, but to gauge your raw design skills, I have to ask that you make a non-animated sig. That way all elements are combined and we can see weak/strong points. This one however could be used elsewhere still, either for yourself or another XG member

VenerealMonkey

XG CONTRIBUTER
Mar 10, 2012
Little Rock, AR
Ok. Here's the first one. Still trying to get the creative juices flowing for the second one.

xdc_app1_by_atonsis-d6xas07.jpg

I am going to do my best with this one.

1. It is chaotic. no light source, text in random places, C4D's that are all over the place, not blended and no overall flow. I am drawn to everything but the render itself.
2. I am not sure what you put over the render, but it doesn't work. you want to make sure that the render (the focal) is just that, the focal point of the sig.
3. When placing your text, try to have it closer together and work with the rest of the sig. You seem to be stuck on the same font too. go to dafont.com and expand your font library. don't be afraid to experiment with different styles
4. your background has a lot of negative (unused) space

I would like you to try a tutorial. All the resources you need for it are in the description below the video. If you need help with it, let me know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KjRBCjC10g

XGC Darth

XG CONTRIBUTER
Jul 26, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Okay, let's try this again. Hopefully you'll find this one less chaotic. I took a look at the tutorial you gave me the link to, and I tried some of the things that were shown.

xdc_app_2_by_atonsis-d6xn884.jpg

Last edited:

XGC Radioactive

XG CONTRIBUTER
Mar 24, 2011
Texas
Okay, let's try this again. Hopefully you'll find this one less chaotic. I took a look at the tutorial you gave me the link to, and I tried some of the things that were shown.

xdc_app_2_by_atonsis-d6xn884.jpg

here are the issues I'm having with this one-

Colors- You've got a render with almost no colors at all, and are using very strong color elements in the background. It makes the focal look like it doesn't fit. You'd almost be better off sticking with one color, or keeping it black and white.

Blending- the focal has very harsh lines that separate it from the rest of the image. Try taking a blur tool and lightly tracing the outside of his arm and face, just to soften it up a bit and make it look more natural.

Rules of third- You did very well on focal placement, good job! but the text kinda ignores the rest

Text- I like what you tried, but in this instance, it does not go with the flow of the sig. Had you had a render or focal that had a harsh diagonal flow, it would work, but this render gives more of a horizontal one. The way you did it, it's very difficult to read, which may pose a problem to some requesters. It's their tag on the site, and it's meant to display the information they want. I'd simplify it and move it closer to the focal, making it smaller as well.

I don't see variation in your fonts. Visit www.dafont.com for thousands of free fonts!

examples of black and white, or monotone:

week80_zps3fcebe09.png

synmclovin_zps23f4abe2.png

Last edited:

SYN MsTwiztid

XG CONTRIBUTER
Jan 6, 2007
Hickory, NC
Okay, let's try this one.

xdc_app_3_by_atonsis-d6xr8rb.jpg

This is much better. Definitely shows that you're trying to learn and improve. You still have quite a way to go before you reach your full potential as a designer, but we're here to help you along the way!

One major thing about your signatures is the text. It sticks out way too much. Bring the opacity of your text layer down some and i think that problem will be fixed. Go ahead and try it with this signature.

XGC Nutty Bunny

Forum Nerd
Jun 12, 2013
Cali
Okay, let's try this one.

xdc_app_3_by_atonsis-d6xr8rb.jpg

I personally feel that you are depending too heavily on C4D's and not putting enough effort on making the signature an appealing image. I would suggest looking at the overall product and and asking yourself what could make it better. Let me show you with an example using your latest design, which in my opinion was a vast improvement. I hope that you don't mind that I drew on it a little bit.

One of the most important ways to make an image appealing, and improve the flow, is by manipulating the contrast caused in certain spots. Now, the contrast should be greatest in the areas you want to draw our eyes, and more gradual where we don't need to look much. In the background you did a very good job with that, and placing the text. The only issue is that the entire render is a great contrast too the background. It looks like a render stuck onto a background. What I suggest is by decreasing the contrast in certain spots to make the image draw you in most at the face.

Represented by the red arrows is where the back of the render meets the background. This is a unimportant area, that isn't very interesting to look at, so it should be slightly blended into the background. I would suggest darkening the background in this area, and perhaps blending or blurring it a little more around the neck area. You might also darken just in front of the face, the purple star, to create a greater contrast where you want to draw us in. The area in between the face and the arm, the area outlined with green, is where I would want the eye to be drawn to. The hand already draws you in, and the top of the nose looks fine because its dark, but you need to think about how hard it is to focus where the contrast change is gradual.

Also, because the render already has such a clear area from where the light is you will want your background to have a slight change in where the lighting is shown from, rather than having it all bright. The area where I would place the light, shown by a blue section of a circle, is in the lower right hand corner. The best way I have found to do this is by making a layer and setting its mode to "Overlay" then making a white circle in the corner with a large brush size that is slightly off the image. Than you add some black to the far side of the image, moving out until you get the desired effect.

Another thing that might help, is add a little of a C4D onto the render. You must be sure not to add it over the entire render if you do though, or it will be hard to see. I would add a C4D on the bottom of the render, shown by yellow/orange curve, to give it a slight flow into the background.

xdc_app_3_by_atonsis-d6xr8rb_editted-by-Bunny.jpg

Also, perhaps you might try playing with the size of your signature a bit. I find that I don't like how fat the 500x200 looks. I personally use 495x150, I think it has a better length to width ratio. You may not agree with that, and may find that you want to stay at 500x200, but I still encourage you to give it a try. I hope this helps you, but I think more than anything there are two things you need to remember.

First off: Have FUN with it. Don't feel like its a job, though it can be tedious, or you will stop being creative with the signatures.
Secondly: Don't lose your style. With us critiquing your work you may feel pressured to try and adapt your style to fit our styles, but you shouldn't do that. We're here to help you grow and prefect your style, not make you use ours. The variety of styles is what makes the XDC so great.

VenerealMonkey

XG CONTRIBUTER
Mar 10, 2012
Little Rock, AR
Darkening that area will also help to hide the over blurring on his back. When tryin to better blend a render, try this;
1. Duplicate the render an then Gaussian blur one of the layers to around .5-.8
2. Place the blurred layer below the non.
3. Use the blur tool, soft round brush at opacity at 12%. Size the brush down to around 10-20 px.
4. Zoom in and take 1 or 2 passes around the non blurred layer.

XGC ABSENT

XG CONTRIBUTER
Jan 20, 2012
New Jersey
Font layer drop shadow would make a world of difference if you insist on putting white lettering on a white or highlighted background. Doesn't have to be much. Less should be more in this case but is needed imo. Also might try finding 2 fonts that aren't so far from each other as far as style goes or use the same font but make one larger and the other with a slight drop in opacity or even a clipping mask... just some options. Try not to over do it or focus all your tricks on one area.