Welcome to Xiled Gaming
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

TIPS FOR DESIGN APPLICANTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inked Ivy

Carpel Tunnel
Oct 7, 2009
Auckland, Aotearoa
So you want to become a design team member or freelancer? I will give you some insider tips on how to achieve that goal.
This thread is not for improving your technique - if you need help in that area ask one of our many great designers - it is simply to help you survive the application process.

-----------------------------------------------------
.: MAINTAIN A GOOD ATTITUDE :.
I cannot stress this enough. I know, the application process can be a long and tedious one. But keep in mind, we've all gone through it.
At the end of the day, the designers that comment and read your application are those making the decision on your fate. Do you really think we want to bring someone into the team who has a sour attitude?

<ProTip>
Be respectful to the team. Don't get all ****y and put down others work if you think you're better. Seriously? We rather have someone who can make a good member to the family than someone with amazing skill but the personality of a brick.

.:BE A SPONGE:.
When we provide CnC don't make excuses as to why you considered it and for whatever reason didn't do it, or why you think yours looks better anyway. Show us that you understand what we are saying and have the capacity to learn.
<ProTip>
Honestly, when I see someone go and change a signature they've made to encorporate our CnC I yell "10 points to Gryffindor!" in my head. You get massive respect from me!

.:KEEP UP THE ACTIVITY:.
The minimum is the test images. Do these and you can scrape by. The more "pumpin" your thread the better - everyone likes a good party. We only want to accept people who we know will fill their work quota - I know we get a lovely flashing usergroup banner but you need to continue earning the privelege to wear it.
<ProTip>
Ways to impress us more include:
Get involved in Battles, SOTW, Graphic Gallery - we know you mean business then.
Stop by our clan forum - if we see you around enough we'll soon think your part of the team anyway!

.: QUALITY OVER QUANTITY :.

Simple enough. Few good signatures are better than a tonne of hardly improved images.
<ProTip>
Show friends/family a signature before you submit it. If a non-designer can pick something up, then we'll definitely find something to CnC. Fix it up and then put it on your app.

.: DO NOT GIVE UP! :.
Applications can sometimes take a long time and feel like they are going nowhere. But if the team is still giving you CnC and commenting on your thread, then you've caught our eye. You most likely have the fundamental skills, we just want to squeeze out the inner artist and get you to a new level of design.
<ProTip>
"Don’t be discouraged. It’s often the last key in the bunch that opens the lock"

.: INSERT CLICHE > HAVE FUN! :.
Don't get too stressed over it, otherwise you'll likely stop fulfilling the above tips and it won't be good for anyone. Your application is only a semi-formal affair, feel free to bring your playful attitude into your work - we'll all appreciate it.
We also understand life comes first, so if anything comes up talk to one of us and we'll put your application on hold until things get better for you.

-----------------------------------------------------

That's all I'm going to say for now. If I give too much away it won't be a challenge anymore!
And yes, I used obnoxious yellow text so it should now all be burned into your retina and thus unforgettable.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: SYN Maniacal
Status
Not open for further replies.